PDA

View Full Version : Supplements!

Aleks
06-21-2009, 07:06 AM
Do any of you use supplements? What do you use and why? I have alot of questions about whether I should consider using some things for a few reasons:

1: I use IO salt (reportedly low Mg, my DKh is usually 7, and Ca is 400 @1.026). I have little reason to suspect any problems based on this alone, but the #'s are certainly less than what everyone considers "ideal" for a good thriving reef

2: I skim, use chemi-pure elite, and cheato....overkill? Am I removing anything I may need? Excess nutrients? Some level of nitrate is beneficial for corals...

3: I want deep colours and good coral growth.

A few of the ones I've come across in the stores that claim to fix these things are Reef Complete, Purple Up (similar to Reef complete), Reef Fuel, and Essential Elements (apparently trace and AA supps?)

I already know, don't add what you can't measure, so I'm looking more for opinions on effectiveness and experience. Call it curiosity....:mrgreen:

whatcaneyedo
06-21-2009, 08:43 AM
Try this article out, it should answer everything:

The “How To” Guide to Reef Aquarium Chemistry for Beginners,
Part 2: What Chemicals Must be Supplemented
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-04/rhf/index.php

Everyones tank is different. With my main one I run both a calcium reactor and a kalkwasser reactor, I boost my IO salt with a magnesium chloride/sulfate mix and I drip a little lugols iodine every once and a while.

With my nano I just do water changes. Period.

Bandsaw
06-21-2009, 10:21 PM
I agree with whatcaneyedo. What you need to add to your tank will depend on what you keep in it.

I have been down two roads on this one. The first road was using commercial supplements to maintain Calcium, Alkalinity and Magnesium and was left frustrated with the results. Even with using limewater. I finally made the investment in a Calcium Reactor and have never been happier. Like whatcaneyedo, I use limewater still as my top up water and add a homemade magnesium supplement when required.

Myka
06-22-2009, 12:03 AM
Aside from calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium I add a few ZEOvit products; B-Balance, Pohl's Coral Vitalizer, and Sponge Power. These are mostly foods for the corals to simplify it.

JDigital
06-22-2009, 12:14 AM
I am the same as Myka pretty much...

Calcium, Alk, Mag, Pohls Coral Vitalizer, Pohls Coral Snow...

fishytime
06-22-2009, 12:38 AM
Heres what I dose.

calcium (TA)
magnesium(TA)
iodine (Kent...(and very sparingly))
Randy's dkh

and the following Pohl's products

K-Balance
Xtra
Coral Snow
Coral Vitalizer
Amino Acid
Sponge Power
Stylo-Pocci Glow
Strontium Komplex

I wish I could say that I havnt noticed a difference, since dosing all this schtuff,but......

Myka
06-22-2009, 04:16 AM
I have noticed a big difference just adding the few ZEOvits that I add. I want to start Coral Snow and Amino Acid LPS. One thing at a time though... ;) I just started the B-Balance a week ago or so, and I haven't noticed any differences yet.

banditpowdercoat
06-22-2009, 06:17 AM
I just add Ca and Mg from Chem master. Not goten into Zevoit or anyhting yet.