PDA

View Full Version : Should I styrofoam?

Old Guy
07-14-2003, 08:18 PM
With all the tanks that having been giving out lately, with and without styrofoam underneath, I'm confused whether to use styrofoam or not. I currently have 3 tanks with styrofoam underneath with no problems but I do know someone whos 90gal did break. I am about to change out my reef to a bigger tank and am leaning towards the no foam route using shims to square everthing.

Any opinions, consenses or experiences would be appreciated.

Jeff

Mak
07-14-2003, 08:23 PM
I would. Better safe than sorry :wink:.

Van down by the river
07-14-2003, 10:24 PM
Hello Jeff,
I've built many many tanks and I'd say use Styrofoam. It helps distribute the weight evenly across the bottom pane of glass. It also compensates for uneven spots or pressure points on the stand from wood knots, poor construction, or settling/shifting.
There's a reason Oceanic only guarantees Oceanic tanks on their own stands. I often see that people's aquarium stands seem to be an afterthought rather than a serious part of the design process. The stand should already be on a stable, even floor to start with. If large amounts of shimming is required I'd suggest another location as the floor may continue to settle. Shimming should be done with a level prior to the tank being filled and checked/adjusted after being filled. Remember glass is intolerant of the stand flexing. Same as moving tanks can be quite stressful on the seams. Styrofoam is cheap and there is no harm in adding it, so why not.

Just a note; If they are shimming the actual tank and not the "feet/base" of the stand then IMO they are asking for problems.

Old Guy
07-14-2003, 10:42 PM
The setup I have is All Glass Aquariums, the division of Oceanic. The stand does not have a top and is setup for perimiter(sp?) support only. I have a top I can put on the stand for a better surface for the tank to sit on and I guess it is probly a safer bet as well.