PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Tomato Clown (or owner!)

Aquattro
04-02-2002, 06:24 PM
Looking for any and all ideas on catching a very timid, suspicious, destructive clown. It REALLY likes to dig in the sand and I suspect he does it just to bother me.
If he sees a net from across the room, he hides. I need more creative ideas.
I had him in a bucket when I moved, and "somehow" he fell back in the tank :rolleyes:

mrcopitr
04-02-2002, 06:31 PM
HI,

I had exactly the same problem with my tomato clown...As you mentionned mine also liked to dig in the sand..Having 5" of southdown very fine sand...you probably can imagine the mess....I was able to catch him with a flashlight at night...in total darknes, try to flash the light on him and scoop him out with a net...it worked for me!!! I was kind of sad to see him go...their are nice fish with lots of personality...

hope this helps
good luck

Marco

Aquattro
04-02-2002, 06:42 PM
Marco, how many hours after the lights went out did you wait? I tried once with a red light, but he could see well enough to escape.

canadawest
04-02-2002, 07:02 PM
The flashlight trick works for me when I catch my male Bangaii every couple months. Use the flashlight without the red filter, it's actually the bright light that stuns them for a bit.

I wait an hour or two after lights out. I actually don't even use the flashlight anymore, I just flick on the main lights and net him a few seconds later.

Good luck.

mrcopitr
04-02-2002, 07:14 PM
Hi Brad,

Went the same route as Andrew....waited about 2 hours of total darkness....and spoted the light without filter on the little bugger...and voilą!!

best of luck..let us know how it works for you...

Marco

Aquattro
04-02-2002, 07:16 PM
I'll try that tonight. I was thinking dynamite, but that would be a bit messy. I'll let you know if it works.

StirCrazy
04-02-2002, 08:49 PM
I can get him out of there for ya Brad :D :D :D

Steve

Aquattro
04-02-2002, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by StirCrazy:
I can get him out of there for ya Brad :D :D :D

Steve<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I don't even want to ask what you had in mind....remember, no dynamite!!

Aquattro
04-03-2002, 02:29 PM
Well, the flashlight trick didn't work. I blasted him right in the eyes in a pitch black room and he just swam away into the rocks...the light never even phased him.
Any other ideas?

AJ_77
04-03-2002, 03:15 PM
Sorry no good ideas BUT:

Has anyone had this experience with Maroon Clowns? Saw a really nice one...

AJ