PDA

View Full Version : Anybody know someone who repairs aquariums?

Raf
06-18-2009, 06:44 PM
Anyone know someone that repairs glass tanks? This is a custom, rimless, kidney bean shaped tank and the seals are leaking. Would need a complete teardown and repair.

If you can help or know someone who can, please let me know!

Thanks

Myka
06-18-2009, 07:25 PM
Have you talked to the manufacturer of the tank?

Raf
06-18-2009, 09:53 PM
No idea, the tank is custom and the new owners of the house do not have any info on it...

sphelps
06-18-2009, 10:15 PM
Repairing aquariums isn't always a good idea. Resealing is one thing where you simply remove the bead and re-do it but actually dismantling it completely is often impossible. If the tank isn't tempered it's usually doable but you'll likely end up with a few edge chips which could potentially spread down the road. Unfortunately in your case it will be tempered since the glass is curved which means if you try to take it apart it will likely explode from chipping the edge while trying to cut and spread the seam.

hillegom
06-18-2009, 11:14 PM
repairing aquariums isn't always a good idea. Resealing is one thing where you simply remove the bead and re-do it but actually dismantling it completely is often impossible. If the tank isn't tempered it's usually doable but you'll likely end up with a few edge chips which could potentially spread down the road. Unfortunately in your case it will be tempered since the glass is curved which means if you try to take it apart it will likely explode from chipping the edge while trying to cut and spread the seam.

+1

Mrfish55
06-19-2009, 02:39 AM
How big is the tank? a re-seal job is possible but usually not all that cost effective as it is time consuming to do it right.

Raf
06-20-2009, 02:10 PM
Tank is around 100 gallons. I already looked into replacement cost and it hovered close to 10k.

Anyways I found a company that will attempt to repair it, obvios waiver in hand....

banditpowdercoat
06-20-2009, 02:18 PM
Sounds like one unique tank. Any pic's?

Raf
06-22-2009, 10:23 PM
There are pics of it on our company website in the Gallery under 'clients tanks'. It is the second tank on the first page, kidney bean in shape.

www.aquaticescapes.ca

thx for the advise :)