PDA

View Full Version : Where'd my red fuzz go?

BlueAbyss
06-18-2009, 06:30 PM
Hmm, so something wierd happened overnight...

When I looked at my rock yesterday before lights out, there was a lot of burgundy colored coverage that had grown over the past 2 weeks. I liked it because it allowed me to see the 'pods scurrying around. There was also some red fuzz (which I've been told is evil) in spots.

So, I get up today, and turn the lights on, and sit down to wake up a bit. I glance at the tank... and notice my rock is really white. Looked like it had sand on it, covering the dark growth. I look a little closer and... whoa, all the red and burgundy stuff is gone! Mostly gone, anyhow... and the 'pods that I used to see running around all over seem to be mostly gone too, though I have noticed them slowly reducing in population anyhow. Some of the red fuzz has replaced itself with green fuzz (I noticed this change happening last weekend), but all other chunks of red fuzz is gone.

I have 2 theories... The first is that the tank has matured and the environment has changed enough to make a poor environment for 'pod and whatever kinds of algae those were. The second is that my lone tiny blue legged hermit devoured the algae over the past 12 hours (he is currently cleaning the other rock that is in there), removing the 'pods favorite home (or eating the 'pods too).

Any ideas? It's sort of disconcerting to have any overnight changes in any tank, let alone such a major change in my new reef. Should I worry? I will be doing a round of testing today to see if anything has changed, just in case.

banditpowdercoat
06-18-2009, 06:51 PM
usually Cyano will amlost disappear overnight, but will be back at the end ofthe day. The lights make it grow, fast. If it's back tonight, you know, try lights out, even a blanket over the tank, for 3 days.

BlueAbyss
06-18-2009, 06:53 PM
Okay, so it was cyano? I thought cyano was sort of translucent?

I suspected something like this, but cyano seems to sort of... take over people's tanks? This stuff was really slow growing, like it took 2 weeks to cover a square inch.

EDIT: Looking a little harder, I notice that some of the burgundy stuff is still in the deep holes and crevices in the rock. Just small spots of it though, the surface has been cleaned clear of it.

banditpowdercoat
06-18-2009, 07:00 PM
I can't say if it is or not Cyano, but other algaes will act the same too. And Cyano can take a while to start. it usually does ion my tank too. Slowly, little patch in corner, then after 2 months, if i am not on top of it... BAM

BlueAbyss
06-18-2009, 07:11 PM
Alright, good to know... I guess I'll look for some pics of cyano and try to determine if that's what it was. I'll just have to get used to stuff spontaneously appearing and disappearing in my tank...

Soon I shall truly be neurotic... 'What's that in my tank?'... The next day 'Oh, no worry, it's gone.'... Then, 'OMG a crab!'

Should be an interesting summer :lol:

Myka
06-18-2009, 07:21 PM
:lol: That last post is hilarious.

I also agree it is cyano.

BlueAbyss
06-18-2009, 07:45 PM
Hmm...

Well, I did a google image search for 'cyano outbreak'. I came up with this...
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y55/steelhealr/cyano4.jpg
http://www.nano-reef.com/gallery/data/500/cyano_bad.jpg

This is NOT what I had. It was much darker (perhaps from lower light?) and absolutely solid, not at all translucent. It also had a velvety look to it, but wasn't at all 'turfy'.

The red fuzz was just that... little mounds of red fuzz. Some of that has turned to slightly smaller mounds of light green, translucent (sort of) fuzz, but most of it just disappeared.

findingnemo1
06-18-2009, 08:39 PM
I have the same "Red Fuzz" Algae in my nem tank and it is not Cyano as i have that in my other tank:sad:

So if you find out what it is please let me know....lol
Mine grows on my powerheads as we'll and it looks and feels like velvet...

PoonTang
06-18-2009, 08:52 PM
I have the same stuff too. It sticks like crazy. Even after several hours of soaking in a vinegar bath the power heads are a bitch to clean.

BlueAbyss
06-19-2009, 04:35 AM
Well it's gone now. I saw the blue legged hermit on the rocks today, then he was gone... and now I noticed him on the other rock, picking it clean. So he's eating it, I'm sure... and good for him! :biggrin:

belzebuth
06-19-2009, 12:40 PM
I had some of it too in my tank. Added a Tang and it just disapeared. The fish just love it.

BlueAbyss
06-19-2009, 05:19 PM
Well, he took care of a couple hairs of GHA while he was doing his rounds last night (or this morning before lights on) also, so I'm thinking he will single-handedly deal with any algae as long as it doesn't grow too fast. Until I get more rock (and a couple more crabs) at least.