PDA

View Full Version : Snail Infestation

Malibu
06-18-2009, 04:16 PM
Hi there, I have a 50 gal tropical tank that has a crazy snail infestation. I've got thousands of little white conical-shaped snails. I bought 2 clown loaches, but they don't seem to do a damn thing.

It is a fully-functioning tank with lots of fish, how can I get rid of these pests?

Fox
06-18-2009, 04:31 PM
Hi there, I have a 50 gal tropical tank that has a crazy snail infestation. I've got thousands of little white conical-shaped snails. I bought 2 clown loaches, but they don't seem to do a damn thing.

It is a fully-functioning tank with lots of fish, how can I get rid of these pests?

I recently had the Exact same problem with my 90 gal FW tank...I found that the loaches would eat the brown mystery snails but left the apple snails alone...I went to a LFS and asked if they had any snail bait or traps and was suggested to take a pill bottle (thoroughly cleaned of course), put some algae disks in and poke holes just big enough for them to get in and in a day or so check yer traps...My tank is almost completely clear now in a matter or weeks.

I hope that helps!

Malibu
06-18-2009, 04:40 PM
Thanks! I'll try that!...

sharuq1
06-18-2009, 10:03 PM
You could try a different loach species. We had a yo-yo and he destroyed every type of snail in the tank.

Malibu
06-18-2009, 11:07 PM
do you know anyone in the Red Deer area that sells them? I'm willing to try just about anything.

Ian
06-19-2009, 02:59 AM
My clowns have eaten most smal snails but only if they are hungry. I found that if I fedd the tank every day they get lazy but miss a day or two and look out snails...maybe you are making life to easy for them

Malibu
06-19-2009, 03:21 PM
They do usually get fed every day because of the other fish I have in the tank...

Leah
06-19-2009, 04:48 PM
At are L.F.S I have seen something called snail rid, never tried it when I had fresh but
might be worth looking into.

Fox
06-19-2009, 05:00 PM
I still say your best and cheapest solution without adding chemicals or more fish you may or may not need is the homemade snail trap...let me know how it works out for you if you try it.

Malibu
06-19-2009, 05:54 PM
I tried it last night with no success. I think the holes may have been too small so I'm going to make bigger holes and try it again tonight. I'll keep you posted.

Fox
06-19-2009, 06:59 PM
I tried it last night with no success. I think the holes may have been too small so I'm going to make bigger holes and try it again tonight. I'll keep you posted.

Hehe I had the same problem at first...It also has taken about 2 weeks to catch them all...give it time..."If you build it, they will come!" :P

sharuq1
06-19-2009, 11:23 PM
To answer your earlier question, loaches from the botia genus can often be found at the local petland, usually they are in the tank bank that is on the same wall as the door to the reptile section.

Bugsy
06-22-2009, 01:00 AM
I am battling the same problem. The clown loaches don't seem to eat all kinds like mentioned but i have a yo-yo loach and he is going to town on these things. I don't plan on keeping him forever as I have Discus but for now he is doing the job and will keep him to make sure they are all gone.

I do not recommend any products you add to kill snails. I did this many years ago and it wiped out everything in my tank. They are very harsh chemicals so don't use them.

Lettuce core sunk in the tank will attract many of them and simply remove it and throw it away the next morning. You would be amazed how many you can get this way.

If you can remove most manually then get a yo-yo loach you should have it all done but don't get rid of the loach right away if you don't want it as there will be hidden eggs that have not hatched that will and then it starts all over again.

Also I even tried the Asassin Snail, they eat other snails and it did not work so skip them as they are not cheap either.

Good Luck
:mrgreen:

lt1fj40
06-29-2009, 02:45 PM
You can also drop in a slice of cucumber before bed and remove it in the morning that works really well.

ElGuappo
06-29-2009, 06:23 PM
i would never reccomend a clown loach to anyone as they can get over 12"(plus they will eat all your plants at the root.). yoyos are great for this. i also have 2 khuli loaches not too sure if they eat snails but do a great job gedtting food in SMALL places.

Malibu
06-29-2009, 07:12 PM
Hmmm... well so far I've been having luck with my 2 clowns, as I have not seen any ill-effects toward my few plants I have in that tank. Then again, I only have 2 onions, some other tall grassy plants that the snails liked to eat, and an anubis in a "planter". I did pick up a pakistani after all as the trap idea hasn't worked.

The biggest issue I have regarding my plants is my large common pleco knocks them over or "digs" them up lol... he's like a vacuum... He doesn't eat them, though, because I made sure to only get broad-leafed plants that plecos don't generally like...

eugene
06-29-2009, 08:25 PM
i have heard a couple of ways to get rid of them. a piece of leaf lettuce at the bottom of the tank and when they congrigate pull it out and throw away. i have also heard that they are attracted to white porcalin dishes (this one im not sure about. understand that they will also breed in your filter so a good scrub in it may not hurt.just be careful not to take to much bacteria out with the scrub.

365seasons
07-03-2009, 05:22 PM
conditioning salt will typically kill snails,
and is good for your fish.

Ephraim
07-03-2009, 06:53 PM
There's a type of snail that has been coming into stores in the last 6 months that does well with this problem, called an Assasin Snail. Latin name is Clea Helena. Does a good job and is a nice looking snail too.

Malibu
07-03-2009, 07:11 PM
conditioning salt will typically kill snails,
and is good for your fish.

Well, I know that a bit of salt is good for some fish, but the amount I would have to use to get rid of these snails, I think I would risk pickling my fish!

c_scherer123
07-03-2009, 08:49 PM
Well, I know that a bit of salt is good for some fish, but the amount I would have to use to get rid of these snails, I think I would risk pickling my fish!

I agree. I tried some snails in a jar and added salt slowly, took a fair bit of salt. More than I would add with my fish. Some seem more sensitive, like brigs, canas, spixix, but others like Malaysians just don't die...