PDA

View Full Version : Best place to get live rock locally?

Eb0la11
06-17-2009, 04:47 PM
Anyone have a preference to one of the LFS's that carries "interesting" live rock, with potential to get some cool hitch hikers? I know Red Coral is a sponsor of the local club, and in all honesty I'll likely get a batch from them, but unbiased opinions would be cool. Thanks guys!

parkinsn
06-17-2009, 05:47 PM
Kevin @ RC has some really nice LR right now, some nice big flat pieces and base pieces.

sitandwatch
06-17-2009, 05:49 PM
I got my rock from Red Coral, I ended up with a mantis shrimp, eunice worm, fan worms heck a bunch of worms, sponges, crabs, rock anemone that I hate.

So they have a lot of stuff

aquatic_rice
06-17-2009, 06:04 PM
pices usually has some interesting stuff in their pieces. i probably bought like 30lbs from them and i think i got like 2 or 3 mantis (i know i got at least 2; i was originally going for a mantis tank so i was happy... until the bigger one started breaking my corals to block his cave :mad:), lots of crabs, feather dusters, etc. etc.

i was digging through the rocks just for fun a couple weeks ago, and saw about a 2" mantis crawling around. i was trying to catch him and poke him onto a smaller rock so i could get it but he got away. :p

i found a really unique piece from big als, but not much life on those

picked up a few rocks from red coral too. Nice pieces

Zoaelite
06-17-2009, 06:09 PM
Elite aquatics in the SE just got a shipment of primo live rock (tones of cool macro growth and some CRAZY coraline (flourecent pinks/reds)). Plus they just got a 6 box coral shipment.
Levi

Eb0la11
06-17-2009, 06:51 PM
dangit, why did I have to post this today lol. You guys just pumped me up with all these posts lol.

I still need about a week to setup/fill the tank, this was my attempt at planning, and now I'm just wanting to rush things!

I am half hoping I get a mantis shrimp on my rock just so I can experience it, but as soon as I start stocking the tank I want it gone, at least to a different tank. Could a mantis ever live in a refugium?

Zoaelite
06-17-2009, 06:54 PM
A mantis will work just fine in a fuge (If you can provide a deepsand bed and bunch of rubble he will love you even more). Only problem about a mantis in the maintank is GOOD LUCK trying to remove it after he's in there. Rockwork becomes your worst night mare, you have the right idea though keep it slow don't rush it.
Levi

aquatic_rice
06-17-2009, 10:39 PM
haha, i got too LR happy when i first started. kept finding nice pieces. now my tank is jus packed!

if you want a mantis tank temporarily, you could keep 1 piece of LR in ur main tank so you can just take it out and throw the whole rock in the fuge later. they're fun to watch and feed :biggrin:

dangit, why did I have to post this today lol. You guys just pumped me up with all these posts lol.

I still need about a week to setup/fill the tank, this was my attempt at planning, and now I'm just wanting to rush things!

I am half hoping I get a mantis shrimp on my rock just so I can experience it, but as soon as I start stocking the tank I want it gone, at least to a different tank. Could a mantis ever live in a refugium?

kien
06-18-2009, 12:18 AM
... they're fun to watch and feed :biggrin:

Fun until they start feeding on your fish and inverts :twised: