PDA

View Full Version : Sealing inside hood

Doug
06-17-2009, 12:41 AM
The inside of the hood on my new stand is stained the same as the rest. Now I,m coating the stand with a Varathane type sealer.

Wonder if sealing the inside of the hood where the halide pendant will be, makes it more flammable? My thoughts are that once its dried should ne fine but figured I would solicit opinions.

The only other stand I ever made, used a white type paint in it and I think it was more flame resistant. The hood is fully enclosed but has a pair of 4 by 10in. top vents and will be cooled by a pair of 4in. fans.

Lance
06-17-2009, 12:54 AM
Doug, I'm no expert, but most of the water-based polyurethanes and varnishes are less flammable. I used a water-based poly on a wooden pool table light that is about 1.5" away from two 175 watt spotlights. Had it for years without a problem.

Doug
06-17-2009, 01:03 AM
Thanks Lance. I was actually thinking about that today, as opposed to the usual sealant we use in the shop.

Skimmerking
06-17-2009, 03:09 AM
well cut the crap and show us pictures doug, i can't speak....:biggrin:

Doug
06-17-2009, 01:08 PM
Pics are coming, one day.

So, searching sealants for the hood and find lots of silicone ones. Seems GE 2 windows & doors is not a good one to use. DOH ! Of course not, I already used it.

Why, cause there was none of the regular aquarium silicone at Canadian tire when I needed some. I built my glass partition for the overflow with it and sump baffles, so guess those should be ok. ??

Darn conspiracy I tell ya. Used very nice 5/8th maple for the stand now the iron on maple edging is nil stock and back ordered in the whole freakin city. Using a Varathane mixed dark stain. Go to get more and its back ordered, as the shipment was screwed up. Unbelievable.

:lol:

StirCrazy
06-18-2009, 12:19 AM
do the inside with SPA Varnish, it resists UV so your finnish will last longer. I don't think you have to worry about a fire.. its made of wood :mrgreen: if it isn't hot enough to scorch it then it won't hurt varnish or polly when its dry as all the carriers are gone.

Steve