PDA

View Full Version : ID requested please!

Justin
07-14-2003, 05:36 AM
I need everyones helps IDing this coral. It started as a patch around the size of a dime about 6 months ago, now it's MUCH larger and spreading!!

Click on this link:

http://members.shaw.ca/jusfourn/corals.htm

click on the thumbnail, you can expand the pic for more detail. Sorry about the glare!!

Thanks a lot everyone!!

sumpfinfishe
07-14-2003, 07:50 AM
Hi Justin,
From my experience I would say Briareum or by the common name of Encrusting or Mat Gorgonian.

Yes, this type of species can and will thrive in the the right conditions.
I have found that they spread the fastest on bare rubble rock that is in a medium to high flow location. Lighting is not as important, as they can tolerate medium to low indirect light. I have seen this type of gorgonian take over some beautiful pieces of coral in other peoples tanks. It's hardy and if the right conditions are present it can reach problematic populations like Green Star Polyps or Xenia. I use to have a fair amount until it started to grow like a weed :eek: , that's when I traded most of it or gave it away.

If you plan on keeping this coral over long term and you don't want to have it grow out of control, I would suggest seperating it from your other pieces of rock, by placing the single rock that it's on now surrounded by sand or even against the glass, so that way it has a much harder time matting on the sand or can be easily cut back with a razor if it spreads to the glass :biggrin: . I still keep Gorgonians, however now I keep the branching species of Corky Sea Finger and Knobby Sea Rod. These two species grow in branch like forms that are more manageable to control :mrgreen:

cheers, Rich

Justin
07-14-2003, 03:39 PM
Thanks Rich!!