PDA

View Full Version : good or bad algae?

htfn
06-16-2009, 06:27 AM
anyone tell me these are good or bad algae? I have lots on my live rocks. if these are bad how can I get rid of them.

tlo
06-16-2009, 06:36 AM
#2 looks like a type of bubble algae. Not sure about the others.
Try this site and see if you can id them.
http://www.saltcorner.com/sections/guest/algaepage/algaepage.htm

Algae outbreaks are usually a sign of too much nutrients in the water. Is this a new tank?

htfn
06-16-2009, 02:53 PM
Thanks tlo I will check the web and go from there.

Myka
06-16-2009, 04:14 PM
The first pic looks like Caulacanthus ustulatus. Do a Google search to confirm. It's often easier to match the real thing to a pic, than to match a pic to a pic! :) If I'm right, then it's a nasty one to get rid of. Every little bit that breaks off will start more algae. So when you rip it off have a siphon hose there to catch all the little pieces. This is a good idea no matter what kind of algae you're ripping off.

Second pic is showing some fuzzy red turf algae on the left (different than the first pic), and there is two green algaes there, but they are both a type of Valonia sp bubble algae.

The third pic shows Caulacanthus ustulatus and red turf algae.

All algaes feed off excess nutrients. With this amount of algae growing in your tank you can be sure that you have plenty of excess nutrients. To learn how to get rid of these take a read through the link in my signature. :)

htfn
06-16-2009, 06:27 PM
Thanks, Myka
Looks like I have a long fight with those algaes.

Myka
06-16-2009, 07:08 PM
How old is the tank?

htfn
06-16-2009, 07:36 PM
My tank is a little bit over 6 month old. It is about 30 gal nano tank include refgium and sump.

Myka
06-17-2009, 07:06 PM
Are you growing chaeto in the fuge? In a new tank like that it will take some time to get the nutrients under control. Feed sparingly, and keep your fish stock low until you get it under control. What fish do you have in there now?

htfn
06-17-2009, 07:44 PM
I have a hector's goby and banded pipefish. I checked my water last night and was ok.
PH 8.4 Ammonia,Nitrate & Nitrite are 0 KH 8dKH Caluciam 420 Phosphate 0.1

htfn
06-18-2009, 03:53 AM
I have red macroalgae in the fuge. I'm thinking to send a pipefish back to local store and add 6 more turbo snails , 10 margarita snails, lawnmower blenny and/or bi-color blenny. Hopefuly, it works. any idea?

Myka
06-18-2009, 05:42 PM
As much as inverts and fish do a great job of eating many algaes, your issue is with phosphates. Read the link in my signature to get that under control. In the meantime, some suggestions from the info you posted:

~ Try some Chaeto algae in the fuge (it is better at sucking up nutrients)
~ Don't add that many snails, that's too many they will starve after they eat the algae.
~ The algae that is in your tank isn't eaten by any of the fish or inverts that you listed.
~ Emerald crabs may or may not eat Valonia, but they are hit or miss.
~ The only thing that eats the red algaes are a couple different types of Tangs and/or Rabbitfish, but they are way too big for your tank.
~ Margarita snails are temperate, which means our tropical waters are too warm for them which increases their metabolism and leads to a shortened life span, which is cruel imo.
~ Don't add a blenny, they don't usually take prepared foods and your tank is too small to provide enough food for them indefinitely, so they will starve.
~ I find Astreas are good algae eaters, and would suggest 4 or 5 for your tank.
~ If you can find some Stomatella snails they are great because they breed in the tank and their population will flux in comparison to the amount of food available.

That's just my two cents on the matter though. Take it or leave it. :)

htfn
06-18-2009, 07:55 PM
Thanks, Myka
Caulacanthus Ustulatus. This algae is real pain. I tryed remove from the live rocks but it was hard. I cut them and syphon out. nobudy eat this. Realy pain. I'll get chaeto in fuge to phosphate down. I hard the red fuzzy turf algae is eaten by turbo, margarita and blennys. I know margarita is not good in tropical fish tank but anything is help. I fund stomatella snails in my tank, so I guss it's good thing. Anyway I still need to serch and study more. I'll read yours again.