PDA

View Full Version : Eggcrate colour and bottom

Ryan
06-14-2009, 01:24 PM
I am planning a small frag tank and have a few questions. My first is does the colour of egg crate change the amount of light a coral will get over a period of time. I am wondering because we all know black will absorb a lot of energy from the sun and get hot right. So If I use black egg crate the black should absorb a lot of the light and with the coral plugs on black egg crate would they not receive light a lot better than if they were on white? White reflects alof more energy because its a lighter colour.

My other thought in conjunction with the coloured egg crate was painting the bottom dark as well. How much do you think this would effect the light the corals would get?

I know the black would help make the colours of the coral stand out.

o.c.d.
06-14-2009, 01:38 PM
I wouldn't paint the bottom dark, I'd go white to reflect the light back under the coral. I've even pondered a how well a mirror would work on the bottom. As for the eggcrate makes sense that the white would reflect the light off it, and that black may heat up. But I'm thinking it would be very little difference. Maybe some of the frag masters will have something to say about it.

Ryan
06-14-2009, 01:42 PM
Would enough light reflect off the bottom though to reach the reflector on the light to reflect back down? With the frags being on Discs and Plugs I cant see them getting very much light if it reflects buck upwards. I am worried maybe algea will start growing on the bottoms of the plugs and discs.

cuz
06-14-2009, 03:52 PM
some say white is an algae attractor, that black is better but i don't know myself. here's a link see what you decide.
http://www.reef2reef.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17153

Zoaelite
06-14-2009, 08:39 PM
I don't think the color really makes an effect, keep in mind there is a plug between the crate and the coral. Most of the energy would be direct (or light directed from the reflectors), but black does look the cleanest if you can find it.
Levi

o.c.d.
06-14-2009, 09:32 PM
I first pictured plating corals, and I frag on the large side and I usually use LR rubble, but I guess it depends on what your fraging. As for finding Black eggcrate if you have not already nex time your in cow town, I buy it from Adlite Plastics & Lighting. I warn you though 25$ a sheet.

e46er
06-15-2009, 01:48 PM
check home depot im pretty sure it was 10 or 12 bux a sheet but i KNOW i didnt pay 25 for a sheet

fishytime
06-15-2009, 02:57 PM
I've even pondered a how well a mirror would work on the bottom.

Now that would be one pain in the glass, pane of glass to keep clean:mrgreen: