PDA

View Full Version : AARRGHH! Emerald Crabs Stripping Coraline Algae

Beverly
07-13-2003, 06:15 PM
Well, my two emerald crabs started out their lives in my 42 gal hex doing what I thought they would do - eat unwanted algae. However, after a few weeks of having them in the tank, I've noticed less nuisance algae being eaten and my beautifully coloured coraline algae disappearing :eek:

Set two traps last night, and caught one right away. Gonna set them traps every night from now on to catch the other emerald as well as the other crabs in that tank :evil:

Back to the lfs for those guys :mad:

StirCrazy
07-13-2003, 06:31 PM
Actualy if they are not eating it to fast it will encourage the growth of more coraline algae. every time they take a chunk it releases some to the water colume wich will land and start growing somewhare else.

but if they are eating it faster than it can grow then get rid of one and see how that goes.

Steve

Beverly
07-13-2003, 08:48 PM
but if they are eating it faster than it can grow then get rid of one and see how that goes.

Steve, they are decimating the coraline and leaving the other algae completely alone now. I watched the big one the other night. It ate and ate and ate, and when it came to a bubble algae, it just continued eating AROUND the bubble. Very disappointed in their performance :sad:

Beverly
07-13-2003, 10:53 PM
HAH! Caught the second little monster just now :mrgreen:

Still have three unidentified crabs in the 42. Gonna set them traps, gonna set them traps :evil:

AJ_77
07-13-2003, 10:55 PM
Mine used to tear into the halimeda, eating chunks out of many leaves at a time, and leaving it in a mess. They never really did do much for the bubble, so they also found new homes.