PDA

View Full Version : my first fowlr tank

mycat99
06-13-2009, 12:59 PM
ok after many years of having fresh water tanks i have decided to take the plunge and do salt walter.so after selling all my fish i set up my 90 gallon .i have a bare bottom on my tank with 35 lbs of live rock and cycled tank for about 2 months with a few mollys living in it .freind who talked me into salt then gave me a lion fish he didnt want and after a month i bought my first fish .now after onter 2 months i have 2 triggers /lion fish and a foxface along with about 6 hermit crabs and 8 snails that my triggers plays with .for equitment i use to have a red sea prizom skimmer but after reading reveiws on them when and bought a tunze 9005 which works great .i have 2 koralia pumps .a koralia 1 and 4 for water movment and after reading forms on this site about canister filters i empteyed my ehiem 2226 last night and put in some carbon .ever week since i started i am doing 10% water changes and useing bacteria boast .i also use araga milk about ever 3 days for my live rock .i just bought a glo t5 ho light thats 48 inches from a member.hopefully soon ill get some pitures

BlueAbyss
06-14-2009, 07:33 AM
:lol: Your trigger isn't playing with the snails, his jaws just aren't strong enough to crush them yet.

Hmm, so you're dosing with Aragamilk? Do you test to see if you need to add anything? I suspect that Aragamilk is some sort of calcium supplement, you don't need it in a FOWLR tank since your fish aren't going to use much calcium... and dosing without testing is dangerous. You may be adding too much of something, without realizing.

If you find your nitrates are high, double the amount of water you change... with messy eaters like lionfish and triggers, I suspect you might want to do this anyhow.

Oh... Welcome to Canreef!

Blom
06-14-2009, 04:59 PM
mmm Escargot.

Welcome to Canreef!

banditpowdercoat
06-14-2009, 05:05 PM
Ya, triggers eat snails and hermit's