PDA

View Full Version : anyone here good with anenomes

Brighteyes_13
07-13-2003, 04:52 PM
I just got a really neat looking anenome that noone can agree upon the identity of, and i was just wondering if anyone from victoria would care to come by and have a guess... We dont own a good camera so we cant post pics but we really want to know what we have in our tank. The fish store sold it to us as a clown anenome (possibly a malu) but it shows different characteristics than the malu's everyone else has had or the internet tells.

anyone here good with anenomes?

Aquattro
07-13-2003, 05:59 PM
I can't say I know of anyone up to the challenge of keeping them locally. Maybe ask at the LFS to see if they know of anyone.

steve-s
07-14-2003, 05:05 AM
The problem with anemone ID's is that there are well over 6000 different types and within each family type they can have variations. Both in color and tentacle shape.

Some will have obvious tell tales, while others require some serious looking.

If you ever do get a chance to post a pic, try getting a few shots from various angles. Top, side, foot and under the oral disc if possible.

Cheers
Steve

Delphinus
07-14-2003, 03:02 PM
There is no such thing as a "clown" anemone... I personally am unsure whether H. malu is really collected for the hobby. H. malu is similar in characteristics in some ways to H. crispa (although there are also differences). So sight-unseen I would guess you might have H. crispa, although it really is a complete guess without any kind of visual. Is there any way you can post a picture (even if it isn't perfect quality?) Or see if someone with a camera can come over and take a picture for you.

If you want I can come by in about 3 weeks and take a peek and guess for you ... :biggrin: unfortunately until then I'm not exactly close. :wink:

Seriously, see if you can get a picture posted and we can try to make some educated guesses.

Brighteyes_13
07-14-2003, 09:45 PM
id welcome anyone with a camera to come and take pics...

i just moved here in april so i dont know that many ppl.

Veng68
08-18-2003, 01:52 PM
Try this website for some photos of anemones.

http://biodiversity.uno.edu/ebooks/intro.html

I have another site but I am on vacation so I will post it when I get home.

Cheers,
Victor[/url]