PDA

View Full Version : Gloves

GreenSpottedPuffer
06-12-2009, 06:24 PM
I am looking for ideas on gloves to wear when I need to do something in my tank. I have the big lobster handling gloves but they are way too bulky.

A few weeks ago I was moving some rocks and a few hours later I got a rash. Thought nothing of it. Two nights later I was in the hospital for it because it was burning so badly. After a week of antibiotics, its ALMOST gone. The doctors said its not the first time they have seen this after people putting their arms in an aquarium. They don't know what bacteria it was (just that it was a bacterial infection) but said it could have been very dangerous left for weeks.

Anyways, never again NOT wearing gloves.

I want to find something more disposable I think since I dont put my hands in the tank very often anyways.

belzebuth
06-12-2009, 06:34 PM
These are great. Not expensive

http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page.aspx?c=1&p=10264&cat=2,42407,33240

GreenSpottedPuffer
06-12-2009, 06:37 PM
These are great. Not expensive

http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page.aspx?c=1&p=10264&cat=2,42407,33240

Yeah those do look good. I never thought to look for gardening gloves. Thanks.

I think I still prefer some kind of disposable ones though. Or kind of like dish washing gloves. Are they safe to use? Not really long enough though.

fkshiu
06-12-2009, 06:49 PM
You can get shoulding-length calving gloves at feed supply places and pharmacies in more rural areas. If you've ever seen something on PBS or the Discovery Channel where the host is jamming his whole arm up a cow's you-know-what then he'll be wearing these gloves.

They are disposable, shoulder-length and have a lot more tactile sensation than thicker gardening gloves or Aquagloves. I heard that OA carried these a while back as well.

Leah
06-12-2009, 06:56 PM
^^^Great Description^^^thank god no pictures, never thought I'd say that

Blom
06-12-2009, 06:56 PM
What about a livestock heath or veterinary supply site. Thats about all I can think of for shoulder length disposable gloves. I just googled "livestock veterinary supply" and found a few sites.

Piscez
06-12-2009, 07:03 PM
I can relate regarding lack of direct feel as I have a set of long aquagloves, apparently janitors warehouse carry some but I haven't been able to check them out.

untamed
06-12-2009, 08:38 PM
Let us know where you find those calving gloves. I've been using the heavy long gloves and they are impossible for any fine work.

GreenSpottedPuffer
06-12-2009, 08:46 PM
Let us know where you find those calving gloves. I've been using the heavy long gloves and they are impossible for any fine work.

Will do. I hope to find some soon. I need to move some stuff around in my tank but I am too scared to put my arms in again.

I know its not common to get an infection like this but obviously there is some kind of harmful bacteria in my tank. The doctors told me not to put my bare arms or hands back into the tank. I got a big lecture about how dangerous bacterias can be especially from a marine environment since they have no clue what the strain is or how deadly it could be.

I remember a thread on RC where a guy seemed to have the same thing I did and many others joined in saying they had experienced it too. All needed antibiotics to clear it up.

I figure gloves are worth it...

scherzo
06-12-2009, 08:47 PM
I know that the Cloverdale Pharmasave has Calving gloves.

fkshiu
06-12-2009, 09:17 PM
I know that the Cloverdale Pharmasave has Calving gloves.

That's where I got mine. I'm not sure if OA still has them. They apparently had them a while back.

mark
06-12-2009, 09:36 PM
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h316/das75/gloves.jpg

from farm/vet supply, never use them though unless I'm working around the frogspawn

scherzo
06-12-2009, 10:55 PM
I may be picking up some.

I live in Coquitlam so if the OP wants some.. I'll get an extra box.

fishytime
06-12-2009, 11:54 PM
The calving gloves are good for "feel", but they tear easily, so probably not so good for handling rock etc.

untamed
06-13-2009, 09:11 PM
Those one's don't look long enough for me.

m109r
06-13-2009, 11:22 PM
Those one's don't look long enough for me.

You might be better off with a dry suit :lol:

----------

Felt kind of weird asking for calving gloves, but I like the idea of not being infected,

+ I am very paranoid about polluting the tank with soap residue and stuff, my skimmer seems to go nuts sometimes when my hand has been in the tank

hipp77
06-14-2009, 01:04 AM
These are the ones that I use.

http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/product-info.php?product_ID=mc-glove

MMAX
06-14-2009, 01:36 AM
I remember posting a glove idea a while ago in here...Nitrile gloves. They're what I use in the oil patch to keep off any oils, glycol, methanol etc. Very strong and almost as thin as latex. You can find them at any safety supply store.

SmallFry
06-16-2009, 03:18 AM
If all else fails, you could try your local veterinary surgery. They'll have them if they do large animal work, and if they don't have them they might get them for you.

Considered them myself, but I don't know if they'd stay waterproof after the attentions of my tomato clown...