PDA

View Full Version : Which controller?

GreenSpottedPuffer
06-12-2009, 01:56 AM
I want to buy a controller that I can monitor from my blackberry. Which ones are capable and how difficult is it to set up?

banditpowdercoat
06-12-2009, 02:14 AM
tagging along.

What all do you want the controller to do? I'm playing with making one, But the phone/PDA interface would be cool. I have a HTC Touch, not a blackberry, but is pretty cool PDA

GreenSpottedPuffer
06-12-2009, 02:26 AM
tagging along.

What all do you want the controller to do? I'm playing with making one, But the phone/PDA interface would be cool. I have a HTC Touch, not a blackberry, but is pretty cool PDA

Im not even sure to be honest. As much as possible though. The main one is temperature. I am going away for a week and want to leave the tank unattended since its only 34G. I have an ATO and will use an autofeeder. I just like the idea of being able to know its ok while im gone. I also want to set up a web cam that I can monitor on my BB.

I am just starting to figure out whats possible. The new aquacontroller might be good for all this. Don't know when its out though.

Tomjay
06-12-2009, 03:12 AM
Read through this thread I have it install but have not yet set it up on my Blackberry bold yet. It interface with the GHL Profilux might help you with what you want to accomplish. http://www.aquariumcomputer.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=119

Pescador
06-12-2009, 03:34 AM
You can monitor temp, PH and webcam with a Reefkeeper 2 via serial port on your PC.
Like this http://macreef.dyndns.org/index.html

karazy
06-12-2009, 03:39 AM
You can monitor temp, PH and webcam with a Reefkeeper 2 via serial port on your PC.
Like this http://macreef.dyndns.org/index.html

they no longer make reef keeper 2's

but im pretty sure the reef keeper elite can send out texts and such. michika has one, you can ask her

Veng68
06-12-2009, 04:09 AM
If anyone did this with an iPhone........ I'd like to know about it :)

Cheers,
Vic

christyf5
06-12-2009, 04:11 AM
I have an aquatronica setup. Its hooked up to my computer with the serial interface. I then use a website (logmein.com) to access my computer and monitor it. I can do this via my phone or any computer.

subman
06-12-2009, 04:17 AM
I had to dig through a pile of dead computers to find one with a serial port! I have to get the lan card on my profilux working, that reef status program is perfect for what I want.

GreenSpottedPuffer
06-12-2009, 04:33 AM
Thanks guys...i will check out the links.

Blom
06-12-2009, 04:46 AM
Ive heard of an iPhone app that can be used with Neptune's aquanotes software. From my understanding it has to be the full program, the lite will not do. I just picked up an Jr today, after I figure it out a little I was going to try the iPhone app out. Ill let you know

mike31154
06-12-2009, 05:46 AM
I had to dig through a pile of dead computers to find one with a serial port! I have to get the lan card on my profilux working, that reef status program is perfect for what I want.

There is software available that will allow a USB connection to emulate a serial port. Sorry I don't have a link to offer right now, but a quick search should yield a number of results fairly quickly, the one I use is freeware.

leslie hempel
06-12-2009, 11:03 AM
i think aquatronica and profilux offer this action via a sms hub but not sure if it will be compatable with blackberry etc

michika
06-12-2009, 05:06 PM
Melev over at RC uses his iPhone in conjunction with the Aquanotes app. and his controller, Neptune?, to monitor his system.

The RKE and I think the cheaper version of the RKE-Lite, both come with NET modules which allows distance monitoring via the internet.

I'm also a Blackberry user, Storm, however there are 0 apps out there for me that relate so I do everything via the internet.

GreenSpottedPuffer
06-12-2009, 06:15 PM
Melev over at RC uses his iPhone in conjunction with the Aquanotes app. and his controller, Neptune?, to monitor his system.

The RKE and I think the cheaper version of the RKE-Lite, both come with NET modules which allows distance monitoring via the internet.

I'm also a Blackberry user, Storm, however there are 0 apps out there for me that relate so I do everything via the internet.

How do you like the Storm? I have the Curve 8900 but I think I would have rather got the Storm now...

Blom
06-12-2009, 06:41 PM
My Brother and a few friends all have the storm, and their overall consensus is very negative. I know a few of the complaints, like how slow it is from screen to screen. I purchased an iPhone around the same time my brother picked up his storm, which I think added to his dislike. Side by side comparison, well there is no comparison. The iPhone IMO is the way to go (Still deciding if I like Rogers or not). Blackberry's I like, just not the storm. I used to have the Curve 8330, for just over a year and I was very satisfied. Maybe when blackberrys apps store gets going it will help the storm catch up a bit to the apples. (Come to think of it the apps store should be open, or close).

michika
06-12-2009, 07:23 PM
How do you like the Storm? I have the Curve 8900 but I think I would have rather got the Storm now...

Its not bad, but its not phenomenal either. The handset is good, its the software that has problems. Although I have heard it from a few trusty sources that Telus is looking to pick up the iPhone early fall. I'll be transitioning to the iPhone if they get it. The Storm is glitchy and slow overall, the graphics are nice, and the screen size is a nice upgrade from some of the older BBs. I do A LOT of texting (30K + in a month) along with tons of emails (~100 outgoing/day), and chatting. It works well for my needs, but other people find it lacks in other areas.

JDigital
06-12-2009, 07:32 PM

If you want a full on touchscreen phone.... Iphone is the way to go.

I love my BB Bold, but even I am considering jumping ship from BB and going to the Iphone... a decision I went against when I got the Bold.. :lol: Hindsight is 20/20 ... haha

Blom
06-12-2009, 07:37 PM
iPhone on telus. That would be nice. I remember Bell and Telus announced sometime last year that they were going to build a joint GSM network. Other than that I have no idea. Would be nice to have telus coverage :mrgreen:

JDigital
06-12-2009, 07:37 PM
Its not bad, but its not phenomenal either. The handset is good, its the software that has problems. Although I have heard it from a few trusty sources that Telus is looking to pick up the iPhone early fall. I'll be transitioning to the iPhone if they get it. The Storm is glitchy and slow overall, the graphics are nice, and the screen size is a nice upgrade from some of the older BBs. I do A LOT of texting (30K + in a month) along with tons of emails (~100 outgoing/day), and chatting. It works well for my needs, but other people find it lacks in other areas.

30,000 text's per MONTH?????? That's 1.44msgs per min for 43,200 consecutive mins............ That doesn't take into account the time when you are sleeping/eating/etc...............

Might wanna see a Dr... :lol:

subman
06-12-2009, 07:53 PM
I did a firmware update a while back and it is MUCH better now! Still not perfect but alot better. Telus is supposed to have GSM up and running by Christmas. It needs to be done for the Olympics so they can cash in on all of the visitors GSM phone$

GreenSpottedPuffer
06-12-2009, 08:51 PM
Well I was told the new Curve was faster than the Storm so thats why I got it. I am pretty happy. I used to have the Curve 8330 and I liked it.

the reason I like BB though is for the Blackberry messenger. Many of my friends have BB's and so I can talk to them free and its faster than texting. I dont think Iphone has the messenger does it? And besides I know too many people with BB's. Its nice to be able to just get someones PIN and start talking to them through BBM.

I do like the Iphones too though :)

JDigital
06-13-2009, 12:37 AM
Well I was told the new Curve was faster than the Storm so thats why I got it. I am pretty happy. I used to have the Curve 8330 and I liked it.

the reason I like BB though is for the Blackberry messenger. Many of my friends have BB's and so I can talk to them free and its faster than texting. I dont think Iphone has the messenger does it? And besides I know too many people with BB's. Its nice to be able to just get someones PIN and start talking to them through BBM.

I do like the Iphones too though :)

I don't think I have sent a single text msg using BBM... LOL

GreenSpottedPuffer
06-13-2009, 12:49 AM
I don't think I have sent a single text msg using BBM... LOL

You mean you never sent text messages or never use BBM?

BBM is a million times better than text messaging IMO. I do some promotional work at clubs on weekends and a majority of BB users will just give me their PIN instead of number. And I am pretty surprised how many people have BB now.

I must have a few hundred PINs but not nearly as many phone numbers :)

JDigital
06-13-2009, 01:15 AM
You mean you never sent text messages or never use BBM?

BBM is a million times better than text messaging IMO. I do some promotional work at clubs on weekends and a majority of BB users will just give me their PIN instead of number. And I am pretty surprised how many people have BB now.

I must have a few hundred PINs but not nearly as many phone numbers :)

I text... never used BBM... I don't know many people that have one...

GreenSpottedPuffer
06-13-2009, 01:52 AM
I text... never used BBM... I don't know many people that have one...

Yeah if you don't many people with BB then BBM is kind of useless :lol:

JDigital
06-13-2009, 01:59 AM
Anyways.. back to controllers...

I've got the AC Jr. and I went with it because I didn't feel I would use/need the extra feature of email alert and webserver that come with the AC3 and AC3Pro... but now that they are releasing the new Apex line of controllers I might have a look at them...

The only other controller I would go with is the GHL Profilux... but that's just too expensive right now..

michika
06-13-2009, 02:30 AM
BBM is great, but yeah, people have to have a BB to make it work.

I hit such highs with text messages because I send to multiple recipients each time, each recipient = 1 text message. I usually send to 15 recipients at a time. So I guess the number was mis-leading. Regardless though I send a lot.

Any ideas where you leaning now for a controller?