PDA

View Full Version : Tank Repair

SmallFry
06-10-2009, 12:05 AM
Hi, just thought I'd ask everyone's advice because I've never tried this before..

I might have the opportunity of picking up a damaged tank cheaply (the back panel has broken. Not sure if it's a 75 or a 90gallon. How easy/expensive would it be to fix it myself for my inevitable upgrade? Is it worth doing for the price difference (~$150) between that and a new one?

It seems like it might be too good an opportunity to miss - after all it won't eat or drink in the basement until I need it..

Presumably the silicone is the only thing that holds the panels together.. Any advice on doing the repair would be appreciated also..

Rob.

hillegom
06-10-2009, 12:26 AM
Does it have a plastic frame around it top and bottom? Those could be a pain to remove, have to do it slowly. The plastic will break if you reef on it too much.
After that, you just take the broken glass away from the other 2 sides. I used a guitar string, the smallest dia. I could find. and wound it around two dowels and see sawed my way betw. the panes. My helper was prying a little betw. the panes. I did all 5 sides/bot. of my 10$ leaker 50 gal. Hardest part I found was to get rid of ALL the old silicone. New silicone does not stick to old.
Its a lot of work, so hopefully you are not paying much for the 75/90

SmallFry
06-10-2009, 12:56 AM
Does it have a plastic frame around it top and bottom? Those could be a pain to remove, have to do it slowly. The plastic will break if you reef on it too much.
After that, you just take the broken glass away from the other 2 sides. I used a guitar string, the smallest dia. I could find. and wound it around two dowels and see sawed my way betw. the panes. My helper was prying a little betw. the panes. I did all 5 sides/bot. of my 10$ leaker 50 gal. Hardest part I found was to get rid of ALL the old silicone. New silicone does not stick to old.
Its a lot of work, so hopefully you are not paying much for the 75/90

Thanks for the advice, if I remember rightly it does have the surround, which as you say could be a p.i.t.a. to remove..:smile:

The guitar string idea is great though - would never have thought of that by myself.. .
I've noticed silicone remover for sale in Canadian Tire - don't know if it works or not. Maybe better to sweat it out with a utility knife - besides, everyone knows it's not a proper job until you've bled on it! :lol:

Rob.

hillegom
06-10-2009, 01:14 AM
lol
I used a box cutter blade, the ones that you break the tip off. Just the blade.
One whole blade for each panel of glass. Then it is dull