PDA

View Full Version : Looking for suggestions for a controller

kien
06-09-2009, 05:00 PM
Okay, I have decided to delve into the world of aquarium controllers. As the title suggests, I am looking for suggestions and comments based on what reefers here are using. Below is a laundry list of what I'd like to accomplish, in no particular order:

- Internet access: Would like to monitor (and adjust if possible) things via internet. Would be nice if it had wifi as there is no ether net jack near the aquarium. I suppose I could just put an access point under the tank and plug the module into the wireless access point.

- Monitor the basics: pH, ORP, temp, salinity and any other probes that I can jack in.

- Control heaters, fans, etc.

- Light timer. Right now I have 3 honking huge dial type timers that all my lights are plugged into. My daytime halides, sunrise/sunset T5s and fuge light. The are huge and unsightly so if I can get rid of all those and just get the controller to take care of my lighting schedule, that would be awesome. I've seen some that can be programmed for moon phases too.

- I would also like it to feed my fish, clean my tank, do water changes and maybe have dinner ready for me when I get home from work. hehe, j/k.. sort of..

---

I think that's about all i want the controller to do. Is that asking for a lot? I don't know :-) What else do people use controllers for?

I have a 90 gallon mixed reef with a 20 gallon sump. I know these things aren't cheap, but what's more important to me is the feature set.

Thanks!

fishytime
06-09-2009, 05:10 PM
Profilux will give you the most options but, at the highest price as well...the aquacontroller III will also do everything you are looking for( with the possible exception of wifi...not positive)... I admittedly havnt done much research into the reefkeeper series so cant comment on them.

Blom
06-09-2009, 05:37 PM
Wifi im not sure about. I believe the RKE was going to, or it does.. Ill have to look that up. And I remember reading about the new Neptune Apex controllers (Just released). Im pretty sure they are wifi, but dont quote me on that either. Anything with a ethernet port could be made to be wireless, just as you said.

The chart on this page should be able to help you out with your decision. The first two charts are a comparison of skimmers, the others are for controllers. The excel chart lays it out nicely.

http://www.aquariumcontrollers.com/aquarium-equipment-comparisons.php

untamed
06-09-2009, 05:42 PM
I used Aquatronica...but if I did it again I would likely go with Profilux. The Profilux has a lot more complexity, but they are similar in hardware concept. Profilux has better interface with a computer.

In the category of "what else do people do with controllers?"... I use it to control peristaltic pumps on both my Kalk Reactor and Ca reactor...and obviously to control the pH of the Ca reactor.

Tomjay
06-09-2009, 08:09 PM
I use the profilux plus 11 Ex it’s the only controller I have tried.....also it is backwards compatible; so for instance the P111 will be out soon and the only thing I have to do is upgrade the board and I have the new model for the fraction of the price....oh I connect to mine using wireless or wired on my network

subman
06-09-2009, 09:18 PM
I use the profilux plus 11 Ex it’s the only controller I have tried.....also it is backwards compatible; so for instance the P111 will be out soon and the only thing I have to do is upgrade the board and I have the new model for the fraction of the price....oh I connect to mine using wireless or wired on my network

Is your unit connected wirelessly or you connect to it wirelessly. I would love to have mine connected sans wires.:mrgreen:

Tomjay
06-09-2009, 10:00 PM
Is your unit connected wirelessly or you connect to it wirelessly. I would love to have mine connected sans wires.:mrgreen:

I connect to it wirelessly from laptop or from wired my desktop. I added Profilux Wireless LAN Interface

Tom R
06-09-2009, 11:03 PM
I have the ProfiLux II Plus and it does everything I want and more.
I started with one of their beginner packages and have added as I grew my system. This computer controller has made the automation of my system effortless. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one again.
If you are just starting out and you are going to use Tunze pumps in your system the savings of not having to buy Tunze controllers for your pumps will almost pay for a beginner ProfiLux package.

Tom R