PDA

View Full Version : What might these be?

newreefer_59
06-09-2009, 04:25 PM
Pretty sure that pic #44 is just some sort of algae. Is it ok if I let it grow, or should it be cut back or removed?

On pic #45 - I have several of these growing on my live rock. Tank has been up for 6 months now. Again, are these ok to just leave or should they be cut back or removed?

untamed
06-09-2009, 04:40 PM
They are both macro algae. I kept #44 in my previous tank for many years. It was the favoured food of my eunicid worm, actually. From time to time, I did trim this back but it's growth rate isn't so huge that it is a problem. I had some in my new tank, but my Blonde Naso ate it all.

I have also had #45 grow from time to time and have seen photos of one tank that had a ton of this grow in it. This algae builds a Ca tube. I've never been able to keep it alive for any length of time. I really doubt that this will cause you any trouble in the long term.

fishytime
06-09-2009, 04:59 PM
#44 is called dictyota and naso tangs are probably the only thing that we add to the tank that will eat it. My experience with it was that it did grow rather quickly(probably due to my nutrient load and bulb choices) and I would advise you to remove it.

Myka
06-09-2009, 05:07 PM
#44 is Dictyota sp
#45 is Neomeris annulata (with hair algae in the background) ;)

newreefer_59
06-09-2009, 08:32 PM
Myka, I have followed your guide and the hair algae I was once experiencing has lessened remarkably. Just spotty here and there:biggrin:

hillegom
06-10-2009, 12:53 AM
I think you should leave the Neomeris annulata
Looks good .
good pic here: http://melevsreef.com/id/algae.html click on thumbnail

o.c.d.
06-11-2009, 01:43 PM
Dictyota, I'd pull it now when its small, you'll probably always be yanking it from the same spot unless you can pull the rock and chisel off the part of the rock where it's growing from. It does look cool but not many thing will eat it to control. The only place I would let it grow is in a refugium. Diadema Urchin is suppose to eat it, I wouldn't buy one unless you find the stuff popping up everywhere.
The Neomeris I wouldn't worry about. Usually it only thrives during the break in periods of new tanks.

Myka
06-12-2009, 06:45 AM
Myka, I have followed your guide and the hair algae I was once experiencing has lessened remarkably. Just spotty here and there:biggrin:

That's great! I'm glad it's helping some people out. :)

I have always left Neomeris in my tank. It doesn't take over, and I think it looks pretty cool. It seems to come and go...mostly go.

ElGuappo
06-12-2009, 08:52 AM
#44 is called dictyota and naso tangs are probably the only thing that we add to the tank that will eat it. My experience with it was that it did grow rather quickly(probably due to my nutrient load and bulb choices) and I would advise you to remove it.

+1 :twised::frusty: