PDA

View Full Version : Rocks at LFS?

chx_101
06-09-2009, 05:39 AM
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and kind of new to the hobby as well. I used to have a 20G nano given from a buddy before, which I had to give up during university. Now I'm planning to go back into the hobby (couldn't stop thinking about the corals and everything)...going to set up a 30G nano this time (live in an apartment, can't put in any greater than that size)

but since I'm starting from scratch I'm still looking for a place to get some live rocks...I was going to get it from J&L but they said all their rocks are uncured. but from what I read, it seems like cured rocks are better..
is there anywhere you guys can recommend around this area to get good quality live rocks? want to make sure everything starts as perfectly as possible..

Thanks~

PS: I would love to join the frag buys when time comes~ is anyone welcome to join? Thanks!

SeaHorse_Fanatic
06-09-2009, 08:13 AM
Yup, pretty much any member can join a group buy.

Anthony

fkshiu
06-09-2009, 04:05 PM
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and kind of new to the hobby as well. I used to have a 20G nano given from a buddy before, which I had to give up during university. Now I'm planning to go back into the hobby (couldn't stop thinking about the corals and everything)...going to set up a 30G nano this time (live in an apartment, can't put in any greater than that size)

but since I'm starting from scratch I'm still looking for a place to get some live rocks...I was going to get it from J&L but they said all their rocks are uncured. but from what I read, it seems like cured rocks are better..

No - "cured" LR is not better than "uncured" LR. The only difference between cured and uncured is how long it's been sitting around an LFS's tanks (at which point the now cured rocks magically get more expensive). What makes LR go from uncured to cured is simply the die off that occurred during transport cycling through.

In fact, when you transport cured LR back home it will uncure itself to a certain extent because you will get some die off as soon as the rock leaves water.

Buying uncured rock and being patient by waiting a little longer for it to cycle through will save you a lot of money. The result will still be the same.

I'd recommend buying LR from classifieds here (but keep an eye out for LR covered in nuisance algae and aiptasia etc), but if you do buy from LFS go ahead and buy uncured to save some money.

BlueAbyss
06-09-2009, 08:31 PM
Uncured rock gives you the option of 'soft cycling', which just means you minimize the ammonia so as little dies off as possible during the initial cure... http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=180442 This just means your hitchhikers live. People get cool fanworms and corals and polypy thingys that no one has names for. You can also cook your rock to 'clean' it of the creepy things... http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=44859

chx_101
06-10-2009, 02:32 AM
Thanks guys!
I'm glad i got some answers here :)

I guess my next step is to get some uncured rocks :)
hopefully i can find something less pricey..

brickwood
06-10-2009, 02:36 AM
Aquatic Addictions has cured live rock and it is the same price as uncured. It does not magically become more expensive when cured. I have bought both cured and uncured rock from them and it was all the same price. Hope this helps.

Marlin65
06-10-2009, 02:59 AM
I bought some from Ocean Aquatics that was a great price and almost cured.
Maybe check when their next shipment comes in.

chx_101
06-13-2009, 07:48 AM
Thanks for all the feedback!!

I went to Ocean Aquatics today and got some rocks!! it's such a great store :)
but i don't think i got enough tho...probably need to go back for more or find it through private sales.

Thanks again!

DJ_drew
06-15-2009, 03:40 AM
haha ive been in the hobby in vancouver for over a year and i dont know where aqatic addictions is??

i prefer buying "cured" rock personally saves on the set up time but uncured is definitely the cheaper way to go!

chx_101
06-15-2009, 09:00 PM
I heard that AA's in Abbotsford
kinda too far for me

I just bought some rocks from Ocean Aquatics. really nice structure and got it all placed in the tank

for some reason tho, it's getting a thin white slimey coat over the rocks.
Is that anything that I should fix? and how?