PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use the MH bulbs from Pet Supply Liquidators?

Veng68
07-12-2003, 07:26 PM
Anyone use the MH bulbs from Pet Supply Liquidators?

http://www.petsupplyliquidator.com/htm/replacementbulbs_metalhalide.htm#mh4

They seem cheap but I want to know any experiences people have had, especially with the DE bulbs.

At RC there is a huge thread about it:

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=9f0f438261a6bfea26858d24bfa0d83a&threadid=165335

The only problems is that some bulbs seem yellow and you may need a pulse start ballast.

Cheers,
Victor

TRS
07-12-2003, 08:56 PM
I purchased some 250W USHIO 10K's from them. The price was great at the time of our dollar!!! Unfortunate, but true....Even with shipping from Canadian suppliers, my costs worked out to be less. I have not tried the generic bulbs from Bruce at Pet Supply Liquidators, although according to some of his satisfied customers that I spoke with, the spectrum is similar to the Venture 6500K bulbs. You should be able to find additional Pet Supply Liquidators testimonies from Reef Central. One word of caution though...If you order from them DO NOT have them shipped by UPS. If they are carefully packaged (I suggest 4-inch PVC and styrofoam peanuts) and sent by USPS Air Mail, shipping charges will be substantially less. There will be no brokerage fees. :biggrin:

Buccaneer
07-12-2003, 09:08 PM
I have been following that thread for a while now and am not convinced that the bulb is even 6500K from how disappointed everyone is with it ( yellow :confused: ) ... I suspect given the reports on it that the bulb is closer to 5000K or less ... I have a German 10000K bulb along with 3 6500K 'sakis and the 10000K is definately white with a blue tinge to it ... I can certainly tell the difference to the 'sakis ... the price was intriguing but I held back to see what kind of response everyone had too.

Cheers

Veng68
07-12-2003, 09:59 PM
I guess we can send one to Sanjay Joshi at the end of Summer (he is working out of town) to have them tested.

Cheers,
Victor

StirCrazy
07-12-2003, 11:21 PM
6500K should not apear white at all. 6500 K is a little closer to a white than actual sunlight which is 5500K but the Iwasakis shoudl apear a little yellow if they are true to there color temp.

this problem is compounded farther by the green tint on the glass and the organic levels in the water. when it is all said and done, if you want white buy a 10000K bulb and the proper ballast.

Steve

robbyville
07-13-2003, 02:41 AM
I purchased my MH's on ebay from bigboyztools, much as I hate to say it it was the best pricing around.

2x250W 10k Venture bulbs for $53 USD each. They are a crisp white/blue, easily as nice of color spectrum as the ushio 10k's. People have mixed reviews on them but I had to try it myself, after exchange, and shipping I could replace them 1.5 times before I hit the price of the Ushio's here in Canada.

Good luck,

Rob

Buccaneer
07-13-2003, 05:58 AM
6500K should not apear white at all. 6500 K is a little closer to a white than actual sunlight which is 5500K but the Iwasakis shoudl apear a little yellow if they are true to there color temp.

this problem is compounded farther by the green tint on the glass and the organic levels in the water. when it is all said and done, if you want white buy a 10000K bulb and the proper ballast.

Steve

That is the whole point is that these bulbs are supposedly 10000K but " appear " yellow which would suggest a Kelvin rating closer to 6500K or less ... I am pretty sure nobody has indicated that 'sakis should appear white but that a 10000K should.

Cheers

Veng68
07-13-2003, 08:44 AM
Anyone try any of the DE bulbs?

Cheers,
Victor