PDA

View Full Version : twisted starfish

Eyford01
06-08-2009, 04:21 PM
Hi everybody! i have a starfish (and one of its severed arms) i found at the LFS on some live rock and decided to take home a couple monthes ago, the arm is doing fine it crawls around on its own and is regrowing the other 4 arms and the main guy was also fine until last night when these pics were taken it twisted itself up and has now literally ripped itself apart and lost another arm, am i really such a bad keeper that it's commiting suicide or is it just in more some S&M type reproduction?

also does anyone know what type it is? best answer i could find on the web is maybe some type of linkia(?)

untamed
06-08-2009, 04:29 PM
That's very interesting. Just make sure it is getting lots to eat. That looks like a starfish that would be easy to feed by hand. (chunks of frozen squid, octopus, clam...they aren't too picky)

fishytime
06-08-2009, 05:20 PM
+1 on the above advice.....for a second there, from the title I was thinking 80's big hair band.:mrgreen:

Zoaelite
06-08-2009, 06:50 PM
Is there any tissue necrosis? If the tissue starts melting away then you have a problem. Otherwise +2 on the others advise.
Levi