PDA

View Full Version : What pump would you use?

Canadian Man
07-12-2003, 06:05 AM
I have decided not to use the SCWD's on the closed loop for the 230 and just to plump the closed loop to the returns on the side of the tank, 2 1" bulkhead's per side. The other return will be from the sump which will go over the eurobracing on the back and come to 2 1" or 3/4" outlets. The sump pump will also power stuff like the refugium feed and eventually the frag farm feed.

The tank will also have 4 mj 1200's on a wavemaker for flow.
For the feed to the refugium and frag farm I am not looking for flow I am just looking for the tanks to be tied into the system.

The closed loop pump will have a 1.5" intake and the output will be plumbed with 1"pvc. it will have a T and then going to 4ish 90 deg's per side. I could use flex pipe.

The sump return will have a 1.5" intake for the pump and then either 1" or 3/4" plumbing for the return and it will have 2 90's then a T and then 6 more 90's in total split between 2 outlets.

Ok so I have 2 pumps. A little Giant 4mdqx-sc which is 1400ish gph and not a pressure pump. A Mak 4 which is more of a pressure pump and 1200gph.

Which pump would you use where?

Delphinus
07-12-2003, 06:52 PM
I don't really think it's going to make a big pile of difference Jonathan. Try it both ways maybe and see. Your LG is not a pressure rated pump but that doesn't mean it can't handle a little bit of head pressure.

That said, personally I'd probably take the LG4 for the closed loop, just since I think the Mak will handle the number of bends in your return just a tiny bit better. But I don't really anticipate that it's going to be a really significant difference.

I think you'll probably find given enough time that you will be disappointed with just 4 MJ12's on a wavemaker, in fact it's almost negligible for flow. Remember I have 4 MJ12's in my 75g, so if you want to see just how much flow that this is NOT, come on over and look..

Canadian Man
07-12-2003, 07:46 PM
That all makes sense Tony.
I think I will do some experimentation with some borenman surge devices on the tank once it's up and going and just has water and sand in it. The MJ's were going to be used just because I have them. Mabe on the frag tank? :mrgreen:

We will see.

Buccaneer
07-12-2003, 08:44 PM
Jonathon ... Here is a surge system that looks very interesting ( no bubbles too :smile: ) ... I plan to try it out some time this summer as I am desperate for more flow ( have about 4600G/Hr now and it is not enough )

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=207396

another option I am considering is the penductors but I will have to change my ( 2 x ) Mag18's to ( 2 x ) Mak4 or 5's ( or eqivalent ) in order for them to be effective.

Tony does make alot of sense in using the pressure rated pump where you have the most elbows.

Cheers

Delphinus
07-12-2003, 11:32 PM
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=207396

So many words.... No pictures ... :cry: That's just cruel.

( :wink: )

Buccaneer
07-13-2003, 06:27 AM
There is a pic in one of the links in that thread Tony :smile:

Cheers

Delphinus
07-13-2003, 08:05 AM
I found it when I went back to read it top to bottom. I didn't the first time when I alloted myself about 2 seconds to check out the thread. And all I saw was words ... so many words. Now I know how you guys feel when you see MY posts!

Buccaneer
07-13-2003, 03:51 PM
And all I saw was words ... so many words. Now I know how you guys feel when you see MY posts!

LOL