PDA

View Full Version : Clown eggs

Tomjay
06-08-2009, 01:05 AM
My clowns laid a bunch of eggs today. Thought something was up when they were nudging the nem and clearing spot plus the female was full (pregnant) very cool to see. Yeah I should’ve got the camcorder out.

What can I do to raise the eggs? Or what are the steps I should follow to help them survive?

Keri
06-08-2009, 05:36 AM
Congrats! It's always a good sign when fish are happy enough to breed.

As to raising the fry, that's a whole 'nother ball game... You would need to set up a separate tank for them and grow phytoplankton to feed the rotifers you will need to raise to feed the fry. If you are serious about it here is a good (long!) post about another reefer's experiences.
http://www.saltwaterfish.com/vb/showthread.php?t=100887

I gave up on the idea of raising my clowns' eggs because I just don't have the time but for every fish raised in captivity that's 1 NOT being taken from the sea so If you can do it, great!!

Tomjay
06-08-2009, 06:13 AM
Thanks Keri, hey great link just read the first part and what I experience about them cleaning the rock. Yeah time is the big issue with me at the moment. Maybe next time I will give it a shot

Keri
06-08-2009, 06:23 AM
Sorry, I didn't wanna be a buzzkill :( It's totally do-able, just a lot of work lol

BlueAbyss
06-08-2009, 06:49 AM
Awesome link Keri, thanks :biggrin:

Doug
06-08-2009, 01:22 PM
Congrats on the babies. Lots of info out there on raising them. I have not had any luck myself but never put much effort into it.

A friend & I tried one batch of my Blue cinnamons after I gave them to him. They were moved to a smaller tank, hatched and were actually doing pretty well until the dog unplugged the power.

My percs lay eggs on a regular basis. However, when I moved them from their 90g to the 45g cube, no eggs. They now reside in my 30 cube sps tank, with their same pipe home and still no eggs.

Here are some pics of mine if your interested.

http://216.187.96.54/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=41750&highlight=perc+eggs

Tomjay
06-08-2009, 03:43 PM
Sorry, I didn't wanna be a buzzkill :( It's totally do-able, just a lot of work lol

No worries and not a buzzkill either I don’t have a different tank to move the eggs to or once hatch....just not prepare this time around.

Leah
06-08-2009, 03:49 PM
If it is anything like raising fresh water fry, you would need patience galore.

Tomjay
06-08-2009, 03:57 PM
Congrats on the babies. Lots of info out there on raising them. I have not had any luck myself but never put much effort into it.

A friend & I tried one batch of my Blue cinnamons after I gave them to him. They were moved to a smaller tank, hatched and were actually doing pretty well until the dog unplugged the power.

My percs lay eggs on a regular basis. However, when I moved them from their 90g to the 45g cube, no eggs. They now reside in my 30 cube sps tank, with their same pipe home and still no eggs.

Here are some pics of mine if your interested.

http://216.187.96.54/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=41750&highlight=perc+eggs

Thanks Doug, no babies yet the eggs was just laid yesterday....nice pics of yours, I will try and take some when I get home from work.

untamed
06-09-2009, 06:35 PM
My Maroon pair produce one batch of eggs every 15 or 16 days....and have been doing so for almost 2 years now. There is only about 5 days in that cycle where eggs aren't present. It is pretty much a full time job for them.