PDA

View Full Version : Stupid MAG drive pumps

banditpowdercoat
06-08-2009, 12:48 AM
Seem's lately, every time I shut my pumps off for water change or something, some of them don't start. Today, BOTH my MAG 3 and my skimmer pump did not start. Now, I know the reason. BUT, I just cleaned both of them 4 weeks ago. Took the MAG apart, and low and behold, the nib that catches and turns the impeller broke off. Hoping CA will fix it. But, I am going to be in the market for a new "great quality" 300-350GPH pump. Inline, 1/2" threads. The MAG is plumbed external. ANd I'm fed up with them. I have 4 of them here, either the volute cracks, the impeller breaks, or god knows what else...
I can live without a skimmer now and again, but if my return pump is calving.... Also, the funny thing is, I have a Quiet One 3000 in my overflow for closed loop. It allways starts. I have never a lick of trouble with it, although I have read numerous horror stories. That being said, It will be the next one to fail..........:twised:

BlueAbyss
06-08-2009, 01:11 AM
Err... Now I'm rethinking my purchase of a Mag 7.

banditpowdercoat
06-08-2009, 01:17 AM
I've had this one running for over a year now, no issues, Just lately. The one that cracked, was my fault, I tightened the outlet fitting to much, and it hit the body. But, in fairness, it wasnt acctually tight when it hit the body. needed alot of Teflon tape to make up the threads.

I have a Mag 7 here I just bought, it seems fine. I have used Mag drive pumps in my computers fro years. Last one ran the water cooling for 5 years no issues. So It may just be my luck lately?

Might try an Ehiem once the 150g stops sucking my wallet dry

Lance
06-08-2009, 01:54 AM
I've had this one running for over a year now, no issues, Just lately. The one that cracked, was my fault, I tightened the outlet fitting to much, and it hit the body. But, in fairness, it wasnt acctually tight when it hit the body. needed alot of Teflon tape to make up the threads.

I have a Mag 7 here I just bought, it seems fine. I have used Mag drive pumps in my computers fro years. Last one ran the water cooling for 5 years no issues. So It may just be my luck lately?

Might try an Ehiem once the 150g stops sucking my wallet dry

IMO Eheim is a better pump than the Mag.

whatcaneyedo
06-08-2009, 03:12 AM
I feel your pain. I run a mag 7, 9.5 and 12 on my systems plus I use a mag 3 for water changes and I'm always having to open them up to replace broken impeller parts. I have to give the mag 3 a good whack each time to get it to start. Oh and the mag 12 is the loudest part of my entire system! So I'll be buying something else from now on but in the mean time I always try to keep a handful of replacement impellers on hand just in case.