PDA

View Full Version : flatworms

landshark
06-06-2009, 04:00 PM
Anyone have any experience with these little buggers? I cut down on feeding but they still seem to persist. Not even sure how I got them. I dip every coral I put in my tank.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
06-06-2009, 04:05 PM
Wrasses are often considered good flatworm eaters. 6 line, leopard, yellow canary wrasses for instance. They are a common problem in seahorse tanks due to overfeeding issues. Once you have them, hard to completely eradicate simply by cutting back on food.

Also, if you move rocks, macroalgae or corals out of that tank, give them a good couple of swishes in a fw bath to get rid of the flatworms or risk transfering them to other tanks.

Anthony

whatcaneyedo
06-06-2009, 05:27 PM
Flatworm exit works. http://progressivereef.com/proddetail.php?prod=flatworm

But take some additional precautions when using it like doing even larger water changes to be safe. Also, you may need to treat a few times and then dip everything new that you buy so that you dont get them back.

Some wrasse are reported to eat them as well. But those are hit and miss. I've tried two six line and a yellow coris wrasse with no luck.

The Blue Velvet Nudibranch will also eat them but it wont be able to find them all and will begin to starve to death and leave a few behind which will eventually repopulate your tank.

They really dont seem to like a lot of flow so adding some more powerheads etc should lessen the amount that you see.

You can also manually remove them by siphoning them off out of the tank when you do water changes. But again this will only lessen the amount that you see and wont get rid of them fully.

i have crabs
06-06-2009, 05:42 PM
ive had a small population of flatworms since buying some rock in january in one of my tanks, the first time i used flatworm exit most of them died like they should have, a couple days later i still had a few so i dosed it again and only a few more died, the third time i dosed about double the ammount and it didnt do squat.
i left it for a couple months and the worms have increased in numbers but still a very small amount, ive added a mystery wrasse and i havnt seen him touch them at all, just a couple days ago a dosed flatworm exit again, right off the bat i did douple the ammout about 160g worth in 60-80g or water i left it overnight and dosed another double dose in the morning so a whole bottle in less than 24h maybe even less that 12h actually, it killed some worms it killed my pods but it didnt kill the flatworms,
i would swear flatworm exit is garbage if it didnt work so well the very first dose, so im thinking the rest i have are resistant to it.its a very small population right now and hopefully will stay that way, i might try some other fish to eat them but havnt decided yet

The Codfather
06-06-2009, 07:53 PM
Couple of 6 lines, worked for me.

J.Lloy
06-06-2009, 09:46 PM
I did a multiple treatments with flatworm exit then added a pair of yellow wrasses and they have been gone since.

landshark
06-06-2009, 10:13 PM
Thanks for the info. Not sure what to do with Flatworm exit after reading reply from, i have crabs. I feel his frustration, but it did make me laugh. Maybe a 6 line Wrasse it is.

lorenz0
06-06-2009, 10:52 PM
flatworm exit works great. i have been treated my tank with it and appears that i took out most of them. I am going to dose again and add a new wrasse

aquatic_rice
06-07-2009, 01:30 AM
i noticed a few flatworms in my tank before but after i got a 6 line wrasse i never saw any again.

i havnt any experience with flatworm exit, but from wut ive heard it only kills the flatworms but not the eggs; also kills some other good worms n stuff