PDA

View Full Version : Read a Good Book Lately?

Oscar
06-06-2009, 04:02 AM
I received some gift cards from Chapters recently and am itching to spend them on something. Now adays when I buy a book it is meant to be something that I will return to numerous times. For reading pleasure I just borrow from the library.

I have a small reef library now including the 3 volume set of "The Reef Aquarium". Any books out there that you continue to go back to or that have been on your list of purchases to make? Something beyond basic reefing.

christyf5
06-06-2009, 04:12 AM
I really like Anthony Calfo's Reef Invertebrates. It covers alot of information and I often use it as a reference for algae identification.

Another handy-to-have book is Scott Michaels Pocket 500 marine fishes (or something like that title). Its great for trips to the LFS and a quick reference for that "ooh I need to have that" fish.

I also liked Eric Bornemans Corals book. Tons of information and lots of photos to help in identification.

Oscar
06-06-2009, 04:27 AM
Yes, I have Scott Michaels fish book plus the invertebrate book. Both are good to bring along when visiting the LFS, just in case.

The Borneman book looks very interesting from its description.

whatcaneyedo
06-06-2009, 04:34 AM
+1 for Bornemans Coral book. That book along with The Reef Aquarium Vol 3 which you already have are my two favorites of the nine I own. Like last summer, now is a great time to buy. The Canadian Loonie is nearly on par with the US Dollar so Chapters prices should be reflecting that once again.

Oscar
06-08-2009, 02:39 AM
+1 for Bornemans Coral book. That book along with The Reef Aquarium Vol 3 which you already have are my two favorites of the nine I own. Like last summer, now is a great time to buy. The Canadian Loonie is nearly on par with the US Dollar so Chapters prices should be reflecting that once again.

For some reason Chapters shows the Borneman book on Coral as unavailable. I will have to keep checking back.

whatcaneyedo
06-08-2009, 03:04 AM
It says its available to me

http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/books/Aquarium-Corals-Selection-Husbandry-Natural-Eric-H-Borneman/9781890087470-item.html?ref=Books%3a+Search+Top+Sellers

I'm kind of tagging along here as well. I havent read any new books in a while and I'd love to get into another. Would the first two volumes of The Reef Aquarium series be worth reading?

I've got:
The Reef Aquarium Vol 3
Book of Coral Propagation
Corals by Borneman
Reef Secrets
The Complete Encyclopedia of the Saltwater Aquarium
Reef Invertebrates by Calfo
The Contentious Marine Aquarist
Giant Clams in the Sea and in the Aquarium
500 Marine Fish
500 Marine Invertebrates
Ultimate Marine Aquariums

michika
06-10-2009, 03:58 AM
Book of Coral Propagation <-- +1

Mine got damaged in our last move, however it was and still is an amazing book, definitely recommend it.

o.c.d.
06-12-2009, 03:43 AM
I liked the book of coral prop also, Borneman's book I consider a must have. I recently purchased Advanced aquarist's online magazine, 2007 and 2008 editions. I like info on paper and I know you can get it online but I read in bed usually and The info is very interesting with a very wide aray of topics. I have 84 reef and marine fish books and every issue of coral mag. So far coral mag and Advance AO mag has me reading page to page. Many of the other books are reference as opposed to a good read. The Modern Reef Aquarium Vol 1 to 4 are similar to The Reef Aquarium (Sprung ect), But they are more of a German perspective.... I see I'm rambelin.. I'll stop now hope this helps