PDA

View Full Version : Look what I found in the yard!

Mrfish55
06-05-2009, 04:31 PM
Just let the dog out and I find this big ol turtle digging a hole in the yard (and all this time I've been yelling at the dog for making holes!) Apparently my yard is the choice egg laying location.
http://i472.photobucket.com/albums/rr88/Mrfish55/turtle2.jpg

http://i472.photobucket.com/albums/rr88/Mrfish55/turtle.jpg
Living proof, you should not release any pet into the wild, this is a red ear slider, most definatley not a local species around these parts.

Snaz
06-05-2009, 04:41 PM
Looks very healthy too.

Scavenger
06-05-2009, 04:47 PM
Did you give him a new home in that spare empty tank we all seem to have laying around?? :)

Mrfish55
06-05-2009, 04:50 PM
Did you give him a new home in that spare empty tank we all seem to have laying around?? :)

No, last thing I need is a turtle, in the time it took to put the dog in it ran back to the lake, turtles can be quick when they want!

Lance
06-05-2009, 04:53 PM
No, last thing I need is a turtle, in the time it took to put the dog in it ran back to the lake, turtles can be quick when they want!

Dig up the eggs; might be good fish food. :mrgreen:

BlueAbyss
06-05-2009, 04:57 PM
Hmm, red eared sliders breeding wild in Canada. OMG.

Mrfish55
06-05-2009, 04:59 PM
Dig up the eggs; might be good fish food. :mrgreen:

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm turtle omlet!

I think the dog may have convinced her to go somewhere else to lay eggs, At least I know where the holes in the yard have been comming from, If the yard is crawling with baby turtles next month I am sure the kids will want to keep one.

Leah
06-05-2009, 05:11 PM
Or maybe you will have the first cockerturts!!!!

banditpowdercoat
06-05-2009, 05:16 PM
ROFLMAO:lol:

Mrfish55
06-05-2009, 05:31 PM

The dog is a female, but damn that would make for some funny looking critters! wonder if they could live in saltwater, selective breeding to create an albino version and I would be rich beyond my wildest dreams!

http://i472.photobucket.com/albums/rr88/Mrfish55/turtle2dog.jpg

Who would like to place a pre-order, sure to be extreemly limited numbers available!

Delphinus
06-05-2009, 05:32 PM
Did you take it to the humane society or anything? I worry that even though it's nice enough for you guys at the moment, that it's not warm enough year round??

Leah
06-05-2009, 05:35 PM
To funny!!!!! I will take one

Mrfish55
06-05-2009, 05:36 PM
Did you take it to the humane society or anything? I worry that even though it's nice enough for you guys at the moment, that it's not warm enough year round??

Turtles have been living in this lake for years, no idea where they bunk down for the winter but the lake was frozen solid for at least a month. From the looks of it, it is not suffering at all, one of the healthiest large turtles I've seen in a long time.

Delphinus
06-05-2009, 05:44 PM
Heh .. ok. I guess they must hibernate then .. I know in Milk River area (south Alberta) there are snapping turtles naturally but the rest of the province is far too harsh to sustain turtles. I keep forgetting that most of the country sucks less than Alberta weather-wise. Heck, we don't even have raccoons out here. Once in a while you hear of one but they never stay. "Why would anyone live here? Screw this, I'm going back to BC"

Leah
06-05-2009, 06:01 PM
Turtles bury themselves in sand or mud. We have a turtle pond close to Kelowna that
is crawling with them. But from what I was told someone has dumped in these unwanted
goldfish that keep breeding. So we will have to see if the turtles will remain. Yet another
good reason it is not good to release these creatures back to the wild

Mrfish55
06-05-2009, 06:13 PM
Unfortunatly the lake in my back yard has more non native species than native, I have seen goldfish, koi, shubunkins and a host of other pond type fish, seems when someone shuts down a pond, fish tank or turtle tank they just come dump the livestock in the lake. I do enjoy hearing the odd WTF as a fisherman reels in a koi instead of a trout tho.

Leah
06-05-2009, 06:16 PM
Now that would be a surprise, never thought of that.....look dear we are
having Koi for dinner tonite.:biggrin:

Lance
06-05-2009, 06:28 PM
The dog is a female, but damn that would make for some funny looking critters! wonder if they could live in saltwater, selective breeding to create an albino version and I would be rich beyond my wildest dreams!

http://i472.photobucket.com/albums/rr88/Mrfish55/turtle2dog.jpg

Who would like to place a pre-order, sure to be extreemly limited numbers available!

I'll take the first Cockerturt. Perfect pet. When he's a bad boy, you just roll him over on his back, and he can't lift his leg high enough to pee on your car tires.

workn2hard2day
06-05-2009, 08:27 PM
am I the only one who googled "shubunkins"?

Mrfish55
06-05-2009, 09:20 PM
am I the only one who googled "shubunkins"?

LOL, Shubunkin= fancy name for calico goldfish

JDigital
06-06-2009, 03:40 AM
I'm no turtle expert, but that thing looks to be in excellent health, and far to big to have grown within this short spring we've had... Never seen anything that big in the Alberta "Wild".. :lol:

Thanks for sharing!

ColinD
06-06-2009, 10:11 PM
You must live close to Cranberry Lake? Its amazing the critters you see swimming, flying (peacocks)and walking around that area.

Colin

Mrfish55
06-06-2009, 11:00 PM
You must live close to Cranberry Lake? Its amazing the critters you see swimming, flying (peacocks)and walking around that area.

Colin

Don't forget goats, Llamas and those damn geese! I am on the lake so ya I guess I'm close:lol: