PDA

View Full Version : Algae Issue

freezetyle
06-04-2009, 11:33 PM
Hey all i have a reddish/purple algae growing in my tank. at first i was excited because i thought it was coraline (still a bit of a newbie) but i think its too dark.

Sorry about the cloudy water it did that today and is being fixed with water changes

any ideas what it could be and how to get rid of it?

mseepman
06-04-2009, 11:53 PM
The pictures are a little tough to see but I would suspect that you are looking at a couple of patches of cyano. If it came on quick then that's probably what it is. Coraline takes a little longer to grow...though it can come in the color you noted.

Check the flow in that area (release pellet food an inch above the rocks) and see how they move in the water column. If they don't then increasing the flow in that area is your first best bet.

Check some of Myka's sticky's on how to deal with algae and they will probably help too.

marie
06-04-2009, 11:55 PM
Hey all i have a reddish/purple algae growing in my tank. at first i was excited because i thought it was coraline (still a bit of a newbie) but i think its too dark.

Sorry about the cloudy water it did that today and is being fixed with water changes

any ideas what it could be and how to get rid of it?

Looks like cyanobacteria, a common problem with new tanks caused by excess nutrients. Water changes and more flow over the problems areas should help.
Do you have a protein skimmer?

freezetyle
06-05-2009, 12:04 AM
i was thinking it was cyano bacteria. I did recently put in a protein skimmer (on saturday) its been pulling a lot of skimmate so the nutrient issue should be under control. i will check the flow.

Thanks for the speedy replies

i have crabs
06-05-2009, 12:23 AM
using ro/di water will also help alot with cyano if your already not using it.

freezetyle
06-05-2009, 01:10 AM
using ro/di water will also help alot with cyano if your already not using it.

Yep using an Ro/di system. i will cut back on the feedings and continue with water changes. just going to have to wait it out.