PDA

View Full Version : PFO Electronic Ballast & Radium Bulb Problems

mr_alberta
06-04-2009, 07:30 PM
Anyone run this combination? I picked up a used PFO Electronic Ballast and a brand new Radium bulb and the bulb does not turn on when my aquacontroller tells it to. In fact it doesn't turn on at all until I turn on the on/off switch on the ballast, wait a few seconds while the ballast makes a buzzing sound, turn it off then immediately turn it back on. Its driving me nuts!

i have crabs
06-04-2009, 07:39 PM
does it work if you just plug it in the wall without the controller?
i had trouble getting my reefkeeperlite to start my bulb at first cause the bulb was already hot, i left it for 1/2 hour or so and it did turn on by its self.
is this a hqi bulb? with a electronic ballast it should start any type of bulb i believe

fkshiu
06-04-2009, 08:18 PM
The Radium 20K 250W bulb is specifically spec'd for a 250W HQI (M80) ballast. While a 250W electronic ballast will work with that bulb, it will underdrive the Radium. Therein may be the issue.

mr_alberta
06-04-2009, 09:03 PM
It doesn't even turn on even if I just plug it into the wall...very frustrating...this is why I don't like Electronic ballasts (but it was cheap-ish)!!

Anyone want to trade an Electronic 250W Ballast for an HQI Ballast??

does it work if you just plug it in the wall without the controller?
i had trouble getting my reefkeeperlite to start my bulb at first cause the bulb was already hot, i left it for 1/2 hour or so and it did turn on by its self.
is this a hqi bulb? with a electronic ballast it should start any type of bulb i believe

imisky
06-04-2009, 09:29 PM
if it doesnt even turn on when plugged rite into the wall then something is wrong with the ballast i would assume... have you tried it with other bulbs?

mr_alberta
06-04-2009, 09:54 PM
Sorry, I should clarify, it doesn't turn on without fiddling even if it is plugged into the wall. The bulb does turn on eventually, I just need to goad it to...

if it doesnt even turn on when plugged rite into the wall then something is wrong with the ballast i would assume... have you tried it with other bulbs?

Marlin65
06-04-2009, 11:49 PM
Sounds like a ballast problem. Can you take it back?