PDA

View Full Version : Hippo, Yellow and Sailfin in a 150?

banditpowdercoat
06-04-2009, 03:21 PM
The 150 that I got and am setting up now, came with a Hippo and Sailfin tang. Now I allready have a Yellow tang in my other tank, who is outgrowing it and needing the larger home. hence the reason for buying the 150. Now, my concern's are, how are they all going to get along? They will all be placed in the tank at once, new aquascape and such.

Thx in advance

Leah
06-04-2009, 03:33 PM
I have worked on a tank with all three + a purple and same size, if I remember correctly
as your tank. It was a surprise to me. And they were not all added at the same time either.:biggrin:

MikeP
06-04-2009, 05:28 PM
IMO that would be fine. When you do the aquascaping try to leave swimming room though. Sailfin's and hippo's get pretty big so you might have to remove one sometime in the future. I have one of each in my tank and the hippo has grown fairly fast (but it seems to come in spurts) and the sailfin has been a slow grower.

HTH

Werbo
06-04-2009, 05:44 PM
Truth is, that you really won't know until you try. Every fish's temperment is different. Yellow and Sailfin are from the same family (same body shape) so you may have a problem, especially if one is larger and the other is submissive. If the Regal was really small you might also have a problem.
If they are all roughly the same size and they are all added at the same time then you should not have a problem. Maybe a couple touch and go days until the "pecking order" is sorted out especially at feeding time around the nori clip. 2-3 nori clip feeding stations would also help. Tangs will always be more aggressive to their own species so a couple mirrors work to distract the fish into thinking that the their reflection is the same species in the tank. Couple ideas for you.
TW

Myka
06-04-2009, 06:02 PM
I think there is potential for that to go either way...could be ok, could be not so ok. I think Tyler hit that one on the head, that it will really depend on the individuals in your case. Although, as already kinda mentioned, both the Hippo and the Sailfin get really big. The 150 won't be big enough for the Sailfin, so plan to rehome when he gets large. The remaining two should be ok.

fishoholic
06-04-2009, 06:26 PM
I had all 3 in a 120g for 8 months with no problems, however the hippo & sailfin did start to outgrow the 120g, so we did upgrade to a 230g.

naesco
06-05-2009, 12:50 AM
IME the best is to add them together in the evening with the lights off.
For the first few days feed at both ends of the tank.
Make sure to feed them garlic extract soaked foods to ward of the possibility of ich, eh
Your tank has the length to accommodate them