PDA

View Full Version : ATTN: Saskatoonians....LOL

Rbacchiega
06-03-2009, 03:50 PM
I'm headed out there end of this month for a bowling tournament (yeah, that's right, I said bowling) and a few of us really want to hit up a sushi restaraunt when we're there. We're staying at a hotel on Spadina Cres, near the river, so somewhere close to there would be fantastic.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH, and I notice there's the Jazz festival going on while I'm there...stoked!

Thanks

Snaz
06-03-2009, 04:45 PM
and a few of us really want to hit up a sushi restaraunt when we're there.

Sushi in Sasketchewan? perhaps I am mistaken but does the MIDDLE of the freaking country with the only saltwater in the province being that in your aquariums really have sushi?

Myka
06-03-2009, 05:01 PM
I'm new to Saskatoon, and not much of a sushi fan, so I can't help you out there. Sorry! I'm more of a crab and lobster person. Yum! :D

BUT...if you're interested in some frag trades or a mini BBQ with some beers and fishy talk, let me know and you're welcome to stop by! I think we're fairly close in age...? I am in the NW part of the city, so should be close to where you will be entering/leaving. :)

rstar
06-03-2009, 07:22 PM
There is a little place right off broadway (close to downtown) called sushiro, address is 737b 10th St E they have pretty good sushi. But if you want an authentic get a cab to Yohei, its the only Japanese owned restaurant in saskatoon, service is a little slow but the sushi is most excellent. the address there is 3602 Taylor St. There is also Ottowa its right downtown at 227 2nd Ave S but the prices are STEEP food is ok though! One more restaurant downtown called the Samurai its at 601 Spadina (the side of the bessborough hotel) i think its more of a steak house and is real classy dining!

Scythanith
06-04-2009, 04:42 AM
I'm a fan of Sushiro. When I eat sushi it's from there. The Samurai has a sushi bar as well. It's set up where your chef is in front of you and they cook your food at your table. Decent food when I was there and a touch of a show as well. All of these places could be easily walked to from Downtown on Spadina. I have never eaten at Yohei, but it alwyas looks to have meal deals on the sign outside when I drive by.

PM some of us for tank tours or trades if you're interested!

Scott

BlueAbyss
06-04-2009, 07:42 AM
All of those mentioned above are excellent restaurants... I highly recommend the green tea ice cream if you go to Sushiro.

TheMikey
06-04-2009, 02:28 PM
Sushiro has good sushi but it's expensive. When my girlfriend and I go there usually the bill is $50-60 for the pair.

I've never been to the Samurai for sushi, but their meals are top notch.

Yohei is alright, but their sushi is really basic. Mostly just rolls: seaweed, rice, and a small piece of fish. It wasn't bad, but Sushiro is better.

Stay away from Otawa. They charge Sushiro prices for Yohei-type sushi.

The only other place in the city that I've had Sushi is at a little restaurant off of 2nd Ave. called "Noodle King and Ice Cream Queen". It doesn't have a sit down restaurant kind of feel too it (more like a cafeteria feel, tbh) but it's super casual and the Sushi is on par with Sushiro for a fraction of the price. Might be worth checking out :)

Hope this helped!

Rbacchiega
06-04-2009, 02:53 PM
thanks for all the help guys and gals! Unfortunately, we're flying in and being a national competative event (blah blah blah) don't get much free time that isn't planned out. Sushiro is is! Green tea Ice cream sounds AMAZING.....yum!

Snaz
06-04-2009, 05:26 PM
Well Sushi is still questionable in my mind but Saskatchewan has THE FASTEST ADSL in North America.

Actual Negotiated Upstream Baud Rate: 956 Kbps
Actual Negotiated Downstream Baud Rate: 11964 Kbps

Thats solid 11 gb downstream on two tiny pieces of copper wire! Not pseudo "burst" speeds like cable.

Floop70
06-04-2009, 05:36 PM
Actual Negotiated Upstream Baud Rate: 956 Kbps
Actual Negotiated Downstream Baud Rate: 11964 Kbps

Thats solid 11 gb downstream on two tiny pieces of copper wire! Not pseudo "burst" speeds like cable.
Unfortunately Telus offers nothing near that - at least here in Lloyd. I had a 3Mbps service which never clocked in above 1.5 or 2. I switched to Shaw and now I enjoy 15, which bumps up to about 20 at the beginning of a download. I have to admit though, we had Sasktel before moving across the street to Alberta and it was always fast and stable.

Snaz
06-04-2009, 05:49 PM
Yup. Sasktel is unique in North America, they laid the BEST data infrastructure possible and keep it modern. Now two province to the East Ontario ADSL(Bell) is the worst I have seen. Craptacular!

Sask seems to have GREAT technology and tech schools. I still would not buy sushi there though. :)

Myka
06-04-2009, 06:00 PM
thanks for all the help guys and gals! Unfortunately, we're flying in and being a national competative event (blah blah blah) don't get much free time that isn't planned out. Sushiro is is! Green tea Ice cream sounds AMAZING.....yum!

Oh sure...ruin the fun. How can you come here and not visit the reefers? I'm appalled.

LOL! Just kidding. ;)

I dunno, but $50-60 for 2 people eating sushi does not sound even remotely expensive to me for sushi. I used to go to a place in Vancouver in Kitsilano, and three of us would easily spend $300, and I only ate very little. I thought sushi was always that much...? :lol: Maybe we got ripped off!!! Hahahahaha!

Oh, and green tea and pistachio ice cream is blech.

BlueAbyss
06-04-2009, 08:46 PM
Oh, and green tea and pistachio ice cream is blech.

:lol:

I'm sure they are together, but if Sushiro still has that ice cream (just green tea) you have to try it. Head up to Broadway one day and try it, it's amazing! Have it with the jasmine iced tea, also. And try the porcupine balls :wink:

Rbacchiega
06-08-2009, 05:15 AM
only on canreef can a thread about sushi drift off and head in the direction of connection speeds LOL.

I wish I could come see all the tanks, but I'm a rookie too, so my free time will be spent doing what the teammates ask....damnit