PDA

View Full Version : what are these things growing on my live rock!

torrid_07
06-03-2009, 04:44 AM
OK! so ive got this little red branch like thing growing off one rock. it kind of looks like a little tree and its a dark red.

and the other thing thats growing, it kind of looks like a wee mini little clam
its very small and opens and closes.

anyone know what these things could be?

id take pictures but my camera kinda sucks so, no can do!

pterfloth
06-03-2009, 05:35 AM
The little red tree sounds like some macroalgae. I had some in my softies tank a few years ago. It grew very quickly and was quite pretty. If that's what it is it should pose no problems. Enjoy it!

tlo
06-03-2009, 05:37 AM
#1 sounds like a kind of macro algae
- http://www.saltcorner.com/sections/guest/algaepage/algaepage.htm

#2 might very well be a clam - usually the really small ones like that dont survive.

Keri
06-03-2009, 05:42 AM
red branchy stuff could either be forminiferans (harmless, usually stay pretty small) or some time of macroalgae....as for the little clam, well, it could be some type of little bivalve but w/out pics it's hard to tell :( (sorry)

Myka
06-03-2009, 05:50 AM
I was thinking foraminiferans as well for the "red tree like" things. :)

Keri
06-03-2009, 06:14 AM
It's stupid how hard it is to find a good pic of them on the web, I know I took one....it's somewhere... but I have like 7,000 pics so I dunno if I'll find it! I actually remember thinking "really gotta label this one properly" when I saved it....but of course I didn't:redface:

Myka
06-03-2009, 02:33 PM
LOL!!! I would actually like to start my own database as I find most databases are missing lots of stuff, and I forget names sometimes, and have to go hunting. :lol:

Snaz
06-03-2009, 02:58 PM
id.canreef.com A simple MySQL DB would suffice. The only issue would be the traffic generated by all those purty pictures. It would get expensive if the site became popular.

Myka
06-03-2009, 04:48 PM
I need to learn how to make websites.