PDA

View Full Version : need help with ins and outs of Ca reactor

christyf5
07-10-2003, 03:47 AM
Hey guys!

Well I've tried to wrap my head around this one but I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and show my ignorance when it comes to this techy stuff (oh wait, I've done that before :razz: )

I am in the process of attempting to convert my Berlin XL skimmer to a calcium reactor. Its been done by a couple of people on Reefcentral and it looks like it could actually work. The reason for doing this: its the cheap (ie. free) and what have I got to lose?. Besides I'd feel guilty for selling this POS to anyone anyway.

However, I'm not so good at this DIY thing. I'm really trying but I still can't seem to figure out how this whole calcium reactor works. I understand the logistics, but the picture one of the DIY'ers has provided I just don't quite get and there is nobody around here to ask, except for the cat and it doesn't seem to care that I want to build this thing :wink:

So, I've labelled a few important things in this picture. If someone could point out what is missing or what they do that would be great. I think mostly what I am missing is the water in/water out points.

Thanks

Christy :)

http://www3.telus.net/seamonkey68/reactor_a.jpg

StirCrazy
07-10-2003, 04:52 AM
can you take a pic from the side with the two pipes and everything.. so the pump is in the middle please.

Steve

christyf5
07-10-2003, 05:15 AM
I haven't actually made this yet. Its a pic from reefcentral from some guy that built it. Sorry. I'd like more pics too but he doesn't have any.

Jack
07-10-2003, 07:34 AM
I will come up and help you build it if you want Christy. It looks easy.

1) Looks like a dust bunny. :lol:

2) I'm not sure it does anything. It just looks like a threaded cap on there. My guess is you could tap into that and put a small John Guest valve for testing reactor pH.

3) Water IN

I know I'm new at this stuff too but I think I could help explain how these things work. Come for a visit!

If I'm wrong oh well but these are my best guesses. :rolleyes:

EmilyB
07-10-2003, 08:07 AM
Just bring that with you Christy......Jon says I can fix that up for you in no time.... :rolleyes: :razz: :biggrin:

AJ_77
07-10-2003, 02:21 PM
And just in case it doesn't work out, bring the old pump too please (I could use another skimmer).
:biggrin:

christyf5
07-10-2003, 03:33 PM
Jack, I think the dust bunny must be the water out point or something. Either that or I am just using this to make recycle really acidic water to grout out my tub or something.

Em, oh yeah, two DIYretarded chicks making a calcium reactor:
"so what do you suppose that thingy does??"
"I dunno, want a crantini??"
:razz:

Alan, the old pump I have left is a berlin turbo pump. Still want it? I was using a Mag 7 on it but that went to Jack as tradesies for his protein skimmer. If I do attempt this, the skimmer will be unrecoverable I believe, as I have to break some piece inside the skimmer as it is now, which is why I'm trying to figure all this out before I get out the big guns.

Jack
07-11-2003, 12:30 AM
DIY don't go good with you two, eh? :lol:

The effluent is the old output of the skimmer.

Christy, If I go to Vancouver this weekend I will stop by if you want.

christyf5
07-11-2003, 12:57 AM
Thanks Jack but I am away this weekend. How about next week sometime? I'll email ya :biggrin:

Jack
07-11-2003, 05:23 AM
Ok, no worries.