PDA

View Full Version : Noisy Overflow - Help Please!

Ron99
06-02-2009, 12:28 AM
I am finally trying to get the new 65 gallon tank set up. It is drilled in the upper left corner for an external durso overflow. I have it built and set up but it is very noisy sounding like rushing water and also gurgling quite a bit. It is not flushing and the water level in the overflow box stays the same. it is just sucking alot of air and gurgling quite a bit.

I tried putting a reverse durso on the outlet at the sump but that does not seem to have helped at all.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

noirsphynx
06-02-2009, 12:53 AM
Try throttling back your flow if you can. Took me over an hour to figure that one out when recently setting up my cube :redface:

golf nut
06-02-2009, 01:56 AM
I am finally trying to get the new 65 gallon tank set up. It is drilled in the upper left corner for an external durso overflow. I have it built and set up but it is very noisy sounding like rushing water and also gurgling quite a bit. It is not flushing and the water level in the overflow box stays the same. it is just sucking alot of air and gurgling quite a bit.

I tried putting a reverse durso on the outlet at the sump but that does not seem to have helped at all.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Any pics?

whatcaneyedo
06-02-2009, 01:13 PM
Sounds like mine... the best thing to do would be to get your tank drilled for another hole so that you can have a Herbie overflow. I've been wanting to do this to my 120gal for three years! But its such a pain to empty out a fully stocked tank and bring it into the glass shop. Maybe this summer if I find myself unemployed again with nothing better to do.

If you dont know what a Herbie is a quick search of this site or google should give you plenty of information.

christyf5
06-02-2009, 03:13 PM
I had that problem as well, I ended up going with a stockman style overflow and its almost totally quiet. I found the durso to be incredibly fiddly to maintain.

Abbyreefer
06-02-2009, 04:48 PM
I went with herbie style. Completely quiet. My tank was only drilled for a drain and return so I pulled the tank away from the wall slightly and used both of those holes for the herbie drain and the return then plummed just behind the tank. If you can get it drilled then all the better.

aquatic_rice
06-02-2009, 06:12 PM
just here for the ride.
gonna upgrade and put in an overflow in n all that, so tryin ta find all the info i can before i get the tank.
itll be my first tank with an overflow.:mrgreen:

TheRealBigAL
06-02-2009, 06:46 PM
I went with herbie style. Completely quiet. My tank was only drilled for a drain and return so I pulled the tank away from the wall slightly and used both of those holes for the herbie drain and the return then plummed just behind the tank. If you can get it drilled then all the better.

Do you have any pics ?

Abbyreefer
06-02-2009, 09:25 PM
Sorry no pics and it woudl be very hard to see because the herbie pipe is under water. But this is how I set mine up to be as silent as possible.

- 1" drain PVC with female threaded cap at the end and treaded strainer on top so that fis cannot go down the pipe into the sump. Best to use a gate valve (I have bal valve but trust me getting it tuned just right is tough. WIth agate valve it will be very easy adjustments.
- 3/4" Durso that is about 2 inches higher (above) than the herbie so that when the water level rises and the water starts to fall into the herbie style pipe adjust it so that the water raises above the herbie so that the watter is actually draining without slurping or letting in air thats when it becomes complely silent. I set up the fail safe as a durso because I found when I did another herbie the water woudl trickly down the 3/4" herbie pipe and you woudl hear it so thats why I went durso and capped the top. There was no need for air mixure as there isnt alot of water going into that pipe and with the cap on top of the durso and no hole opening it makes it completely silent. If something shoudl get plugged in the herbie the water will rise and go into the durso pipe and you'll know and you'll be able to then here the durso sucking the water down to try and keep up. I've tried this by closing the ball valve on the herbie to simulate it being obstructed and even if I wasnt home the durso can keep up and when you do get home you'll know by the sound it makes.

Hopefully that helps It makes sence in my mind but maybe as I'm typing it may not :) so any questions just let me know.

fishytime
06-02-2009, 11:35 PM
Have you tried adjusting the hole size in the top of the durso cap?

Sorry no pics and it woudl be very hard to see because the herbie pipe is under water. But this is how I set mine up to be as silent as possible.

- 1" drain PVC with female threaded cap at the end and treaded strainer on top so that fis cannot go down the pipe into the sump. Best to use a gate valve (I have bal valve but trust me getting it tuned just right is tough. WIth agate valve it will be very easy adjustments.
- 3/4" Durso that is about 2 inches higher (above) than the herbie so that when the water level rises and the water starts to fall into the herbie style pipe adjust it so that the water raises above the herbie so that the watter is actually draining without slurping or letting in air thats when it becomes complely silent. I set up the fail safe as a durso because I found when I did another herbie the water woudl trickly down the 3/4" herbie pipe and you woudl hear it so thats why I went durso and capped the top. There was no need for air mixure as there isnt alot of water going into that pipe and with the cap on top of the durso and no hole opening it makes it completely silent. If something shoudl get plugged in the herbie the water will rise and go into the durso pipe and you'll know and you'll be able to then here the durso sucking the water down to try and keep up. I've tried this by closing the ball valve on the herbie to simulate it being obstructed and even if I wasnt home the durso can keep up and when you do get home you'll know by the sound it makes.

Hopefully that helps It makes sence in my mind but maybe as I'm typing it may not :) so any questions just let me know.

If the gate valve is adjusted properly, there should be no water trickling down the emergency.The trickle is the clue that the gate valve needs tweeking. Same result, but with less parts IMO.