PDA

View Full Version : Red Deer Reefers

yeahitsgotahemi
06-01-2009, 10:14 PM
Hey Everyone, Im new to the hobby and plan on being in for a long time. I live in sylvan lake. What im wondering if there is anyone that does frag trades and stuff around here? I will be running metal halide lighting and actinics, so i should have lots of juice for growing them. I am just currently debating what kind of skimmer i wanna buy. I would like to stick under 400 bucks for a unit and wondering if there is any suggestions? I have seen on Bulk Reef Supply there are a few nice units.

Anyways, if there is anyone around red deer with some good advice and whatnot i would be happy to hear from ya.

xtreme
06-01-2009, 10:19 PM
How big is your tank and sump? That will help determine what size/type of skimmer you will need.

yeahitsgotahemi
06-01-2009, 10:24 PM
My tank is 90 gallon, and my sump is about 30 gallon. Im thinking with the 70 pounds of live rock im going to be getting and whatnot i should have about 100 gallons or so of actual water in the tank. I am not to concerned about the price as i said i dont want to been a thousand deep into a skimmer, but im flexible on the unit. My hoodlight is on its way in. The coralife aquapro 2x250

The unit i think im going to buy is the Octopus Extreme 160

Slick Fork
06-02-2009, 01:31 AM
Hi there,

For your skimmer, this is what I'm running. My tank is 110 gallons with about 30 or 40 gallons in the sump
http://www.jlaquatics.com/product/vt-psin180/Vertex+IN-180+In-Sump+Protein+Skimmer+-+Up+to+180+Gallons.html

As far as frags go, there's a few of us around that have some occasionally. If you need, I have some liverock that I've decided to sell. Haven't got around to weighing it yet so I don't know how much there is yet.

Check out the Red Deer sub-board as Sharuq01 is putting together a meeting next week I think

yeahitsgotahemi
06-03-2009, 12:12 AM
Hey, Cool, ya that was the other skimmer i was looking at was that exact unit. Question is this. What is a better skimmer? The vertex or the octopus 160 extreme. Ive heard there both good units. Ive been doing some reading on the units and the Octopus comes with an upgradable mesh mod you can do to the unit. I thought that was pretty cool.

might be some interest in the live rock, whats up with that?