PDA

View Full Version : Group Coral Buy ?

Buccaneer
07-10-2003, 02:09 AM
Hey everyone ... Kari and I were discussing the possibility of a sort of group buy on corals ( ie ... the blue acro @ J&L's right now )

My idea was that if I for instance were to buy the mother colony and a few others commit to purchasing frags then it would offset the cost of the mother colony.

Now as new colonies become available and others participate then we will have some very nice varieties in no time at all :cool:

Post here any comments and/or suggestions

Cheers

AJ_77
07-10-2003, 03:09 AM
So, you would buy the colony with commitments from others to purchase frags at some future point, when the colony was bigger? Interesting idea, but come on - it's only 89 bucks!!
:biggrin:

Don't think I would be interested - have a couple corals myself in the Buy/Sell/Trade tonight.

BTW, Steve - how much of a load can my basement floor support??
:wink:

Buccaneer
07-10-2003, 04:02 AM
So, you would buy the colony with commitments from others to purchase frags at some future point, when the colony was bigger? Interesting idea, but come on - it's only 89 bucks!!

Don't think I would be interested - have a couple corals myself in the Buy/Sell/Trade tonight.

BTW, Steve - how much of a load can my basement floor support??
:wink:

89 bucks times the number of corals I need to fill my tank :rolleyes:

as to your basement floor ... well you have a looooong way to go to have any trouble there me thinks

Cheers

Buccaneer
07-10-2003, 05:32 AM
Here is an example of what I am talking about ...

http://www.jlaquatics.com/images/fish/rare/acro-blue.jpg

Really nice colours :smile: and should be able to get a few frags off it right away

Cheers

spikehs
07-10-2003, 01:59 PM
I am interested...you could chop that up into 4 good size pieces.

Jack
07-10-2003, 02:24 PM
But it's so purdy you don't want to chop it up :wink:

...uh oh, this is the Calgary forum. I'd better get out of here! :lol:

Aquattro
07-10-2003, 02:43 PM
Rasta, keep in mind that is a wild colony and isn't going to take too much abuse. I've tried this a few times and always ended up with nothing.

spikehs
07-10-2003, 03:07 PM
another option would be just to go on a big frag order and try to get some discounts...I am sure if enough people where in on it JL, Seacare, or SWC would be willing to work something out. I'll be looking to get some more corals when the reactor is up and running(hopefully next week).. Did you have any preference for when this went through? I would prefer later rather then sooner. But when i am ready i am in for $100+ of corals/frags.

AJ_77
07-10-2003, 04:13 PM
Rasta, keep in mind that is a wild colony and isn't going to take too much abuse. I've tried this a few times and always ended up with nothing.
I guess this is the thing that spurred my first question: how long do you nurture such a colony before you decide to start fragging? Is each one different, and to be treated as such? In that case a person would be pretty much buying it for themselves, with the hope that perhaps they could recover some of the cost down the road, if all goes well...

spikehs
07-10-2003, 04:16 PM
i think the best route would be to each get individual pieces, but see if we can get enough together for some sort of discount, then we don't have to worry about that issue as much.

Aquattro
07-10-2003, 04:23 PM
Correct. Buy a few different frags each, and then trade down the road as they grow. Buying a large colony is a group effort and the risk needs to be assumed by the group. Steve can't buy it, assume all risk, and then sell frags if he's lucky. Not the spirit of the endeavour, IMO.

ziah
07-10-2003, 11:38 PM
I might be interested in a dry goods purchase to help minimize shipping costs.

My tank is not ready for corals...never mind acro's. :frown: