PDA

View Full Version : Ich Treatment

Ryan
05-31-2009, 04:35 PM
So some of my fish have come down with Ich. I dont have a spare tank to treat them but I have a few buckets. The effected fish are my new Lyretail Anthias (I assume he brought it in) and my 3 clownfish. So I was planning on treating with Cuppremin (sp?) but was wondering could I do it in these buckets? They are 5 gallons each. The other thought was maybe a rubbermaid container. The Anthias is 3-4 inches, the big clown is 2 inches, medium clown is 1.5inches and the little guy is 1 inch.

My plan was to run my current Internal Filter in the bucket or tote for biological and treat in there. Then just replace the internal filter with a new one and keep the current one for future treatments. The thought is to buy the same size unit so I can take the cartridge from the tank filter and put it into the sick tank filter.

Anyway what is everyones thought on the 5gal pail or should I pick up a 10 gal rubbermaid?

PS. its still fairly early but the Medium Black Clown (Tank bred) is covered, the Athias has it all over but nowhere as near as dense as the clown and the other 2 clowns seem to just be starting it. The Bangaii Cardinal and Firefish dont seem to be effected.

Oh last thing. I was planning on picking up a small CBB on monday but am not now. After there is no more sign of the Ich how long do you recommend I wait before adding the CBB?

ILIKECOUGARS
05-31-2009, 05:03 PM
I would really, try to find a use 10-20 gal. tank to use as a hospital tank. This way you would be able to see how the teatments are going. Your fish can be in there for up to 6 weeks.

sitandwatch
05-31-2009, 05:15 PM
I also recommend the hospital tank I just went through an Ich issue and they were in there for about 50 days I can’t see keeping them in Rubbermaid container. I did the hyposalinity method and have not seen it come back

Ryan
05-31-2009, 05:17 PM
I dont want to use an aquarium because aquariums break and there is a move coming up. I have kept them in sterilite for 3 weeks before I moved and 2 weeks before I got them moved into their current tank.

sharuq1
05-31-2009, 05:35 PM
You could try keeping them in one of the large rectangular rubbermaid containers (to make it easier to catch them) with a seeded sponge filter and airator. I had to go through ich recently with my tang, but did not want copper in my qt tank, so I put him in a 5 gal. bucket for dips with an airator, heater and premixed/heated/airated water with 20 drops of copper treatment (I forget if it was aquarisol or cupramine) for 20 min x about 4 days (sometimes on the second day). Then he went back into the qt tank with melafix and antibiotics (he was injured so that's why) and a 50% water change every 2nd day. This got rid of the ich spots for me within a week, but the tang still had to be kept in a separate qt due to his injuries and the fact that ich takes a while to die off. Don't know if this is "right" but it worked for me anyway...

Ryan
05-31-2009, 07:12 PM
How long does it take for the ich parasite and its eggs to finally die off?

naesco
05-31-2009, 11:30 PM
I take it you did not QT your new fish before it was added to your main tank.
The bucket system is better than nothing or your can choose to treat your fish in the main tank.
Here is what you do
Go to the LFS and buy some Garlic Extreme or go to the store and buy garlic extract.
The watered down garlic juice won't do.
Get some dry food and using a saucer place some dry food and soak it with the garlic extreme. Dry because it absorbs well. Also add some selcon.
You need to feed very often say 6 times for the first week and only garlic soaked food.
The idea is to get as much garlic in the fish as possible. You need to continue to do this for at least 3 weeks. You will notice that the ich will fall off the fish but it will come back if you discontinue.
At the LFS buy a couple of cleaner shrimp or neon gobies (not a cleaner wrasse). Acclimate the shrimp very slowly, please.
You need to start this immediately as your fish have advanced ich.
reconsider getting a Copper Banded as they have a poor survival rate. I would not add anything to your tank for a couple of months and please consider the use of a QT even if it is a bucket.
Good luck

e46er
06-01-2009, 01:28 PM
your going to need to leave your main tank empty as well for 6-8 weeks so any ich in the main tank will die as it as no fish to host

Ryan
06-02-2009, 12:26 AM
Well I lost my Black Clownfish today while I was at work. he had it the worst and now the little black has it pretty bad. I am not sur ewhy but only the tank bred clowns have it bad. The WC clown is now showing no signs of the ich same with the Anthias and Firefish. The tank bred Bangaii isnt showing any signs either. Really make me scratch my head.

naesco
06-02-2009, 12:46 AM
Well I lost my Black Clownfish today while I was at work. he had it the worst and now the little black has it pretty bad. I am not sur ewhy but only the tank bred clowns have it bad. The WC clown is now showing no signs of the ich same with the Anthias and Firefish. The tank bred Bangaii isnt showing any signs either. Really make me scratch my head.

Sorry about the black.
The ich will fall off the fish as part of its cycle and then come back even worse unless you have set up a QT or treated the fish.
What steps have you taken?

Ryan
06-02-2009, 12:48 AM
So far its only been 24 hours scince I have noticed it. I have bought some Garlic Extreme and Selcon which is soaking up in some NLS pellets as I type this. I also bought a Cuppermine bottle and Copper test but am hoping I wont have to use it.

naesco
06-02-2009, 01:17 AM
So far its only been 24 hours scince I have noticed it. I have bought some Garlic Extreme and Selcon which is soaking up in some NLS pellets as I type this. I also bought a Cuppermine bottle and Copper test but am hoping I wont have to use it.

Please feed the fish as much as they can eat and feed often and feed only the soaked food.The ich will return but once the fish are 'full of ' the garlic and selcon the ich will not attach. They will remain in the water so continue doing this for some time. If it returns catch it at the begging and continue treatment.
Good Luck

Ryan
06-02-2009, 01:20 AM
If I dont see any improvment by the weekend I am treating with Copper.

daddy01
06-02-2009, 03:33 PM
ryan,
I had ich outbreak awhile back while I was away for a week, and my son was babysitting.
What I did was lower Salinity to 1.02 (slowly) for a week, and feed Garlic and selcon then slowly raised the salinity. I havent' had ich since.
Jim

sitandwatch
06-02-2009, 03:44 PM
When I had my ich issue I also feed garlic that I made myself, the funny thing is that after a feeding the tank, the water smelt like I was marinating my fish in garlic.

Ryan
06-03-2009, 01:48 AM
Well 24 hours into the Garlic food and my skimmer has stopped building foam and my anemone has receded. Would this be because of the Garlic?

icecool217
06-03-2009, 02:17 AM
I think I am on the same boat as Ryan now. I don't have a spare tank and my clowns have ich.
I am using garlic guard by seachem. Is this good enough? I am considering setting up a hospital tank very soon.
As for the main tank, I have cleaner and fire shrimps. If I leave the tank empty for 6-8 weeks, would i be able to treat ich that way or would they stick onto the shrimps?

i have crabs
06-03-2009, 03:03 AM
copper in a qt tank
dont waste your time buying cleaner shrimp or uv's that garbage does nothing for curing ich.
garlic is a good idea but dosent cure ich at all just helps the fish strengthen up to fight it off,

read some articles by people who know what they are talking about and make your own choices, seems that the boards always spit out the same garbage that dosent work and has been proven not to work many times
i think ich is a topic people dont quite grasp alot of the time

naesco
06-03-2009, 06:32 AM
I think I am on the same boat as Ryan now. I don't have a spare tank and my clowns have ich.
I am using garlic guard by seachem. Is this good enough? I am considering setting up a hospital tank very soon.
As for the main tank, I have cleaner and fire shrimps. If I leave the tank empty for 6-8 weeks, would i be able to treat ich that way or would they stick onto the shrimps?

First of all make sure that the clowns have ich and not clown fish disease which is fatal if not treated immediately.
Some of the garlic treatments are nothing but watered down garlic juice that is not concentrated enough. I do not know about seachem but IMO invest in a bottle of garlic extreme or garlic extract which you can get from a health food store or squeeze your own which is a really smelly way to go.
I suspect that those who have not had success with garlic treatment use a weak solution or do not load the fish with extract. ie feed very often and only garlic soaked food during treatment.
If you use frozen food, the mysis is loaded with water and will not absorb enough garlic.
I agree with I have crabs that garlic acts on the immune system to fight ich. I also think the ich chooses not to attach to a fish that is garlic laden.
But, I disagree with I have crabs about the use of cleaner shrimp and neon gobies. Both these fish help by removing some ich from the sick fish.
UV will also help if the light is strong enough and the flow through the UV slow enough.
Water changes also help by diluting the ich concentration especially if you sipon near the bottom.

If you remove all the fish for eight weeks in your main tank there will be no ich in your tank as ich requires fish to survive.
Good Luck

icecool217
06-03-2009, 06:47 AM
What I am saying is that would ich stay with the shrimps and crabs? if it doesn't, then i guess I can remove the fish from the tank for 8 weeks and it would be fine
but yeah, I'll try to get it set up a QT tank asap. One of the clowns isn't doing very well :( If someone got a QT tank they want to adopt them, it would be better as I don't want them to die :cry:

naesco
06-03-2009, 11:33 PM
What I am saying is that would ich stay with the shrimps and crabs? if it doesn't, then i guess I can remove the fish from the tank for 8 weeks and it would be fine
but yeah, I'll try to get it set up a QT tank asap. One of the clowns isn't doing very well :( If someone got a QT tank they want to adopt them, it would be better as I don't want them to die :cry:

When you have ich on the fish it is also in the water, sand and rocks and other inhabitants.
But if you remove the fish, and keep your tank fish free, the ick will die because they need fish to survive. Hope this answers your question.