PDA

View Full Version : New return pump running very HOT

tlo
05-31-2009, 03:43 AM
Have just recently installed a new barracuda pump and I am finding it is running extremely hot. I can barely touch the pump it is so hot and I have had to turn off my heaters and my aquarium temp is 30 celcius! (I normally keep it at 26) Some of my SPS is starting to RTN. I have no MH lights, this temp is hotter than my house. My aquarium is 180 gallon w 45 gallon sump. I have the pump dialed back about 50%. Vertical head is about 4 feet, horizontal about 6 feet. The only thing I can think of is my inlet pipe is a little longer than I would like, but it is the only way I could get it to fit/work in the area I have. Would this extra length cause the overheating? or is there some other trouble shooting I can do. The inlet is about 2 feet long, but I had to run the pipe up and over and down into the water again, so I guess it has to draw from about 4 feet of pipe. I used 2" pipe to do this. I have ruled out the skimmer pump and powerheads as the culprits.
Any suggestions??

Jack
05-31-2009, 04:01 AM
I'm not sure if such a large pump can be throttled back by %50? I would contact the manufacturer.

http://www.reeflopumps.com/

tlo
05-31-2009, 04:12 AM
YEah, I have an email in to them, but I am not expecting a reply until monday. I thought maybe there might be some good advice here. I thought you could dial them back as much as you wanted. I can try opening it up some more and see if that helps. thanks

fkshiu
05-31-2009, 04:43 AM
Are you dialing back the input or the output? You should only dial back the output.

Have the pump run full out and see what happens.

tlo
05-31-2009, 05:00 AM
Are you dialing back the input or the output? You should only dial back the output.

Have the pump run full out and see what happens.

the output

Madreefer
05-31-2009, 05:02 AM
I have a Barracuda with 8' vertical dialed back a little over half way and my pump is not hot at all. I was told that it could be used this way.

tlo
05-31-2009, 05:11 AM
oops - double posted

mark
05-31-2009, 05:52 AM
Barracuda as well at about 50%. Warm but definitely not hot.

banditpowdercoat
05-31-2009, 11:47 AM
I would be unpluging the pump if its that hot. But the pump is not adding the heat. If it is THAT hot that you can not touch it, I would assume it's heating the sump air, which is heating the water. The motor is not in contact with the wate, so can not directly transfer heat.

But a motor that is that hot can be dangerous, and possibly catch fire.

cav~firez22
05-31-2009, 03:42 PM
The Reeflo pumps have a Thermal shutdown switch, so i wouldnt worry about it too much. I have a dart, and mine gets ... by the sounds of it, as hot as yours, or hotter, but has never shut off.

One thing i did was dissassemble the motor cover, and take it out side, and went after it with an aircompressor. There was a lot of .... crap in there, after that it ran much cooler. also if you leave the rear cover off, just watch for the fan, it runs a bit cooler, and quiter too.

tlo
06-01-2009, 04:03 PM
well, I talked to reeflo today. He thinks it is due to the valving back, even though it sounds as though other people have throttled back this much successfully. Anybody want a new barracuda pump???

fragNplug
06-01-2009, 04:39 PM
id put my money on the type of inlet reducing the flow too much making the pump work harder then it should.
also since its an external pump would it really affect your water temp?
the actully pumping part is separated from the motor.

my dart told me not to reduce the inlet pipe size and to keep the line strait without any bends.

whatcaneyedo
06-01-2009, 06:35 PM
For high head pressure applications like your sump's return you would probably be served better by a high pressure pump rather than a high flow pump anyways. The Panworld are said to be less expensive version of the Iwaki which are a top of the line Japanese pump.