PDA

View Full Version : Aquarium overstocking

edikpok
05-30-2009, 05:43 PM
Right now I have a 6line wrasse, clownfish and a royal gramma residing in my 29 cube. I was thinking to add of the following to it:

3 chromis OR 1 chromis with 1 firefish.

Will either option be too much of an overstocking?? which one would be a better fit in terms of compatibility?

Zoaelite
05-30-2009, 05:59 PM
I have a feeling that a few people will agree with me when I say stay away from the chromis. They are fun fish in a larger tank but in a 29 cube they tend to be pretty nasty, plus they get fairly large. How about 3 fire fish, they are amazing in groups (although a little timid off the bat) and are much less territorial. Throw a large snail shell in there and there set.
Levi

Right now I have a 6line wrasse, clownfish and a royal gramma residing in my 29 cube. I was thinking to add of the following to it:

3 chromis OR 1 chromis with 1 firefish.

Will either option be too much of an overstocking?? which one would be a better fit in terms of compatibility?

Leah
05-30-2009, 06:34 PM
I think you may have a problem adding anything new at this point.
I think the wrasse could tend to be nasty and may chase whatever you add~
this was what I found with wrasse's, good-luck!

TheRealBigAL
05-30-2009, 06:38 PM
I would not put more than 1 fire fish in a tank that small. Unless you luck out and get a male and female. But most likely they will fight with each other in a tank that small. If you keep more than one, and they do not pair up, the dominant fish will harass and injure the subordinate fish.

IMO I would just try adding one fire fish and see how things go.

edikpok
05-30-2009, 06:41 PM
okie - and how about the chromis?

Levi - how big do they get? I tought they were spposed to be very peaceful fish....

as for the wrasse - so far this one in particular hasnt been that aggressive and he was the last one added to the tank abuot 2 months ago...

TheRealBigAL
05-30-2009, 06:43 PM
I think you may have a problem adding anything new at this point.
I think the wrasse could tend to be nasty and may chase whatever you add~
this was what I found with wrasse's, good-luck!

+1 wrasses are bullies. especially in a tank that small.

Leah
05-30-2009, 06:47 PM
Chromis peaceful, not so much with each other ,I think with the fish you already have
you may be out of luck. May get away with another clown (Maybe)

justinl
05-30-2009, 06:51 PM
i would do the 1 firefish and 1 chromis, in that order. firefish are not aggressive to others but usually harass each other unless you get a species that is known to school (i think scissor-tails do); mind you, in a tank that small, I don't know if schooling would work. Most people that buy groups of chromis eventually end up with 1 survivor in the end.

edit: +1 with the others. sixlines can be aggressive, royal grammas even more so. you might just be SOL.

Aleks
05-30-2009, 07:04 PM
I have to disagree with chromi's being "peaceful".......They are semi-aggressive. I have a little bicolor in my nano, and he picks on everything.....even me if I'm staring at the glass.....I'll probably end up trading him in.....

edikpok
05-30-2009, 07:14 PM
Leah - I would have loved to put in another clown instead of the chromi but I am not quite sure how. Wouln\t the clown that I currently have kill him?

Leah
05-30-2009, 07:18 PM
Big possible, get a divider for a while, or get a bigger clown than the one you have.

Zoaelite
05-30-2009, 07:21 PM
I have to disagree with chromi's being "peaceful".......They are semi-aggressive. I have a little bicolor in my nano, and he picks on everything.....even me if I'm staring at the glass.....I'll probably end up trading him in.....

Funny that you say that, I was snorkeling down in Mexico and I had a large bi-color chromis bite me right in the rear. Scared the crap out of me and wow did it hurt.

Main reference

Allen, G.R. 1991. (Ref. 7247)
Other references | Biblio | Coordinator : Allen, Gerald R. | Collaborators

Size / Weight / Age

15.0 cm TL male/unsexed; (Ref. 27000)

Environment

Reef-associated; non-migratory; marine; depth range 3 - 60 m (Ref. 9626), usually 10 - 20 m (Ref. 9626)

Climate / Range

Tropical; 32°N - 10°N
Levi

TheRealBigAL
05-30-2009, 10:06 PM
Funny that you say that, I was snorkeling down in Mexico and I had a large bi-color chromis bite me right in the rear. Scared the crap out of me and wow did it hurt.

Levi
:surprise::surprise::surprise::surprise::surprise: :surprise::surprise::surprise: