PDA

View Full Version : Free fresh water plant's, Calgary and Today!

Canadian Man
07-09-2003, 06:59 PM
I just gave my Freshwater tank it's yearly overhaul. :biggrin:
I took about 1/2 of the plant's out and have them sitting in a bucket right now waiting for someone to pick them up. I am home all day so today would be ideal for someone to come and get them.

Let me know if there is any intrest or they will end up in the compost heep.

3 diffrent types. Anubius??? another type like it and some other type. :rolleyes:

cheers

StirCrazy
07-09-2003, 11:27 PM
how would it mail?

Steve

Canadian Man
07-09-2003, 11:56 PM
I have no clue. Never mailed plan't before :confused:
Have you ever mailed plant's before?

StirCrazy
07-09-2003, 11:59 PM
hmmm they do it all the time in the fw plant world.. maby we should try :mrgreen: how many could you put in a baggy and keep relitivly flat? if it is small enuf should be able to do two day mail for cheep.

Steve

Canadian Man
07-10-2003, 12:04 AM
Well we could probably fit them all in a reasonable size bag. There just has to be a bit of moisture in the bag, correct, not submerged under water?

We could get it reasonably flat keeping in mind that the anubius(sp?) will make the bag a little bigger.

Just took another look at them and they would probably fit inside of a container the size of let say 1/2 of a 2Liter milk jug type thing.

StirCrazy
07-10-2003, 12:42 AM
I have just been reading and the methond normaly used is,
lay it carefully on a damp paper towel. Wet the towel and squeeze most of the water out before arranging the plant neatly as if you were going to press it in a book. Lay another paper towel on top of the plant so that it is sandwiched between the two damp paper towels. Place the plant in a water-tight plastic bag, such as a ZipLock™ bag and put it in a regular-size envelope for mailing.

if you want to try it let me know.. I would love to try some Anubius and such and my tank does need a trimming hehe.

Steve

Buccaneer
07-10-2003, 12:42 AM
Might want to try wrapping plant in newspaper, putting in bag and then wetting it ... ziplock should work nicely

Cheers

Buccaneer
07-10-2003, 12:43 AM
hehehe ... we were posting at the same time :smile:

StirCrazy
07-10-2003, 01:46 AM
Jon, do you still have my address?

Steve

Canadian Man
07-10-2003, 02:27 AM
I suppose we can attempt it steve. Only one problem.
I can't get to the post office till friday and then they wont show up till wed?

I don't have your address still so pm it to me.

trilinearmipmap
07-10-2003, 04:57 AM
3-day mail works fine for plants.

You don't need much water, just a tablespoon or two to dampen the newspaper or paper towel.

I have sent and received plants across the country with no problems.

Canadian Man
07-10-2003, 05:34 AM
3-day mail works fine for plants.

You don't need much water, just a tablespoon or two to dampen the newspaper or paper towel.

I have sent and received plants across the country with no problems.

Cool, Thanks :biggrin: