PDA

View Full Version : New ORA fish

GreenSpottedPuffer
05-29-2009, 08:14 PM
I am not a big fan but I guess kind of cool looking...

http://blog.aquanerd.com/2009/05/ora-platinum-picasso-clownfish.html

xtreme
05-29-2009, 08:17 PM
Kinda cool, but I would never pay that kind of price for them.

Leah
05-29-2009, 08:28 PM
Sorry but they are just ugly!

GreenSpottedPuffer
05-29-2009, 08:33 PM
Sorry but they are just ugly!

I tend to agree....

BlueAbyss
05-29-2009, 08:43 PM
I don't mind the picassos, but these are hideous. I personally wouldn't even get a picasso if I was going to get a clownfish.

sitandwatch
05-29-2009, 09:03 PM
I'm with the ugly group, looks like my dog painted it.

GreenSpottedPuffer
05-29-2009, 09:12 PM
Wow...I hadn't even noticed the price until now!

Yeah that's insane. Especially since my cousin just came back up from Seattle with 3 pairs of ORA Grade A Picasso Clowns for about $450 and they are much nicer looking than these!

christyf5
05-29-2009, 09:21 PM
they look like they have rampant fungus :razz:

Lance
05-29-2009, 09:48 PM
Definitely not my cup-a-tea.

karazy
05-29-2009, 09:54 PM
ya, not very cool looking. they just look like snowcasos except lamer.

untamed
05-29-2009, 11:11 PM
I don't find them very attractive either. I suppose you don't really know what you might end up with when you start messing with selective breeding. Whatever you end up with, you have to sell as the most beautiful thing ever, though!

Myka
05-29-2009, 11:22 PM
The hefty price tag for this bad boy is going to be very high. Ocean Gallery II has a pair of them with the retail being $750 per fish.

:eek: I think they are ugly as heck!

Veng68
05-30-2009, 12:06 AM
I remember seeing pictures of a black striped maroon clownfish.

Looked pretty cool. The thread was on Reefs.org but I can't find it.

It was a wild caught from Indonesia.

Cheers,
Vic

banditpowdercoat
05-30-2009, 12:28 AM
I don't like either

What the heck does ORA stand fro anyways?

Snappy
05-30-2009, 12:34 AM
What the heck does ORA stand fro anyways?
Oceans, Reefs & Aquariums

bignose
05-30-2009, 01:25 AM
$750/fish!! :shocked!: total rip off. I'd rather spend that cash on a tank controller or a vortech.

GreenSpottedPuffer
05-30-2009, 01:35 AM
$750/fish!! :shocked!: total rip off. I'd rather spend that cash on a tank controller or a vortech.

Well I think most of the people buying these fish might already have several vortechs and controllers :wink:

subman
05-30-2009, 02:58 AM
I might consider it if they moved the decimal place 2 spots left!:wink:

JDigital
05-30-2009, 03:43 AM
+1 Ugly is an understatement.

Zoaelite
05-30-2009, 03:53 PM
Holy that's one horrible looking fish, I'm in agreement with the fungus comment. Really though, why on earth would they charge $750.00 per fish that's a COMPLETE rip off. Can you imagine the mark up, I'm sure there's over head but really now that's high way robbery.
Levi

Chaloupa
05-30-2009, 04:16 PM
Well....guess I'm not going with the majority. I LOVE these fish....I like a different clownfish. I have 3 Picasso's and a pair of Naked Clownfish and would LOVE to add these to my collection. Been trying to get a pair of Snowflakes forever...and have not been successful...hopefully these appear at J&L or such...with a slightly lowered price tag, one more in line with the Snowflakes....and I'd be all over it!

Leah
05-30-2009, 04:17 PM
Holy that's one horrible looking fish, I'm in agreement with the fungus comment. Really though, why on earth would they charge $750.00 per fish that's a COMPLETE rip off. Can you imagine the mark up, I'm sure there's over head but really now that's high way robbery.
Levi
:biggrin: I thought that was the name of the game :redface:

Zoaelite
05-30-2009, 04:44 PM
:biggrin: I thought that was the name of the game :redface:

Welcome to the reefing hobby, now DESTROYING ALL OF MY MONEY. Have a good stay :lol:.
Levi

karazy
05-30-2009, 05:14 PM
Well....guess I'm not going with the majority. I LOVE these fish....I like a different clownfish. I have 3 Picasso's and a pair of Naked Clownfish and would LOVE to add these to my collection. Been trying to get a pair of Snowflakes forever...and have not been successful...hopefully these appear at J&L or such...with a slightly lowered price tag, one more in line with the Snowflakes....and I'd be all over it!

haha, i totally love weird clownfish too, but these are just a little..not sleek looking?:lol:

but im definitely in the same boat as you for weird clownfish. i wanna get a pair of picassos for my new tank.

GreenSpottedPuffer
05-30-2009, 05:26 PM
Yeah I love 'different' clowns too but I still find these ones kind of blah...It looks like a disease LOL.

One of those pairs of ORA picassos my cousin brought back from Seattle was actually for me (she didn't ask/tell me though) but I can't take them because I already have my two clowns :( I want them soooooo much but I am way too attached to my guys.

It's interesting that ORA (or in this case the store selling ORA livestock) sells a pair ($150) for more than singles ($60) but really the 'pairs' she got are all very small and seem to just bunch up in one big group :lol:

And lets not even get started about how much Picasso's cost in Canada! These are grade A for $150/pair. I don't think the Canadian prices have dropped yet like they have in the US. Apparently $150 a pair is actually quite expensive too.

GreenSpottedPuffer
05-30-2009, 05:37 PM
Really though, why on earth would they charge $750.00 per fish that's a COMPLETE rip off. Can you imagine the mark up, I'm sure there's over head but really now that's high way robbery.
Levi

Because they know they can get it :wink:

I don't have any problem with this because ORA does distribute a heck of a lot of regular captive bred clowns and are good for the hobby in that way. Plus I am guessing that to get one of these morphs, it takes a heck of a lot of breeding. I think it probably is a lot of work.

One thing I read about ORA is that for retailers to sell their corals, they have to buy a certain amount of their clowns as well. This is a good thing since they are captive bred and means a store selling ORA corals probably only have captive bred clowns.

reeferious
05-30-2009, 06:06 PM
ORA will be sending me a pair of these crossbred failures along with thankyou $750 cheque for taking these off their hands. WTF's wrong with the usual bright, colorful regular nemos?

Zoaelite
05-30-2009, 06:30 PM
To true GSP, anything thats getting away from wild harvesting is a step in the right direction. Still with $750.00 you could set up a whole clown species tank with picassos and a few BTA's. (This is coming from a student though so I'm sure I'm not there target market)
Levi

Leah
05-30-2009, 06:37 PM
Maybe it is a ploy to get rid of them, charge an unreal price and people go crazy to own one, hehe!! Great marketing idea!!!

GreenSpottedPuffer
05-30-2009, 07:22 PM
ORA will be sending me a pair of these crossbred failures along with thankyou $750 cheque for taking these off their hands. WTF's wrong with the usual bright, colorful regular nemos?

Nothing is wrong with regular clowns, I love mine...these ones are just new and rare. No need to get worked up. They are not failures but actually quite the opposite, they have been bred this way.

I agree they are not really nice but no need to get all upset about it. I just thought it was an interesting thing to post.

To true GSP, anything thats getting away from wild harvesting is a step in the right direction. Still with $750.00 you could set up a whole clown species tank with picassos and a few BTA's. (This is coming from a student though so I'm sure I'm not there target market)
Levi

I agree and would never pay that for a clown, especially not these ones :mrgreen: But they do have a market for sure. My dad in Singapore was the one to send me the link and actually they are already in demand there (none have made it there yet I don't think). Singapore being an EXTREMELY rich island with quite a few reefers is a great place to market fish like this.

There will always be people to buy them just because they are the new rare fish no one else has. Lots of people with lots of money to spend!

Zoaelite
05-30-2009, 07:50 PM
It's really weird how rich people spend there money, my step dad is one of the owners of Trail Appliances and I went shopping for golf supplies with him, he ended spending $560.00 on a PAIR OF RAIN PANTS. That's enough to cover most of my books for a semester, It's basic economics though if the demand is there the price will increase.
Levi

GreenSpottedPuffer
05-30-2009, 07:57 PM
It's really weird how rich people spend there money, my step dad is one of the owners of Trail Appliances and I went shopping for golf supplies with him, he ended spending $560.00 on a PAIR OF RAIN PANTS. That's enough to cover most of my books for a semester, It's basic economics though if the demand is there the price will increase.
Levi

LOL...man those better keep him dry!!

I know what you mean though, my father spends crazy amounts of money on stuff that I can't understand either. I think its all relative though, if you make a few million a year, $500 is nothing.

My dad was in town a few weeks ago and bought $800 jeans at Holt Renfrew. He doesn't know I saw the price tag and I could tell he was kind of hiding it :razz: Oh and he bought a few condos downtown while here too LOL. He spends a lot but is actually a very humble, normal guy...he worked his butt off to get where he is at now and I think that makes all the difference in the world. Kind of like your step father I would imagine. If its all just handed to you, I think you see the wealth differently.

He is trying to get a pair of these fish by the way. Thats why he sent me the link ;)

Zoaelite
05-30-2009, 08:47 PM
LOL...man those better keep him dry!!

I know what you mean though, my father spends crazy amounts of money on stuff that I can't understand either. I think its all relative though, if you make a few million a year, $500 is nothing.

My dad was in town a few weeks ago and bought $800 jeans at Holt Renfrew. He doesn't know I saw the price tag and I could tell he was kind of hiding it :razz: Oh and he bought a few condos downtown while here too LOL. He spends a lot but is actually a very humble, normal guy...he worked his butt off to get where he is at now and I think that makes all the difference in the world. Kind of like your step father I would imagine. If its all just handed to you, I think you see the wealth differently.

He is trying to get a pair of these fish by the way. Thats why he sent me the link ;)

Ahha, just a few condos nothing big I do that all the time. Pocket change really :wink:. I don't think it would be a good thing for me to fall into a bunch of cash, they make 30000g tanks standard right :lol:?
Levi

GreenSpottedPuffer
05-30-2009, 09:02 PM
Ahha, just a few condos nothing big I do that all the time. Pocket change really :wink:. I don't think it would be a good thing for me to fall into a bunch of cash, they make 30000g tanks standard right :lol:?
Levi

hahaha...yeah it would be bad for me too I think. He buys the condos as investments instead of other ways he could invest money. They are brand new and no one will even live in them for years now. One is in my name though :twised: and the other in my brothers. All for tax purposes because in Singapore you are taxed 20% no matter what your income, just a flat income tax. So if he has ties to Canada still, he gets taxed by Canada while working there to make his income tax the amount he would pay if he were here working which is 55%. So he has to cut off all ties to Canada and say he has no plans to return. Even though he is returning to retire I think in about 8-10 years.

I wonder if his new clowns are also going to be considered investments? :lol:

Crazy thing is that he pays a company to care for his tank and if the fish die, the company replaces them...I wonder of they would replace these ones???

Zoaelite
05-30-2009, 09:17 PM
I don't know about you but I think paying a company to take care of your reef takes all the fun out of it.
Levi
(Hey GPS, whats your name? I find it a little wierd to call everyone by there screen name on here.)

GreenSpottedPuffer
05-30-2009, 09:52 PM
I don't know about you but I think paying a company to take care of your reef takes all the fun out of it.
Levi
(Hey GPS, whats your name? I find it a little wierd to call everyone by there screen name on here.)

Justin

I agree and I wouldn't want to have someone take care of my tank but he is different. He just likes to have a glass of wine and sit and watch it. He is quite knowledgeable about the inhabitants and whatnot but to him its not a hobby.

People on these kinds of forums of course think that's crazy but I kind of look at it like people with cars...some people mess with their cars as a hobby and some people just drive them and take them to the shop to get fixed. No different.

He also travels all over South East Asia for work almost weekly it seems. The way they have it set up is that the company comes once a day to do everything except weekends. They are always on call though for anything that might be needed. They set up the whole tank and stocked it too with my dads help. So he chose what he wants but they source it all for him. If he wants to add fish, he has to go through them to make sure its all compatible and they add the fish after QTing it in their facilities. If any equipment fails, they replace it as part of the job. So its basically a monthly fee he pays them and they do it all, pay for new equipment, carbon, salt, ect. ect. They also take care of his massive Koi pond (I am trying to get him to turn it into a shark pond). I think its about 4000G or something. It came with his house and he doesn't want to sell the fish apparently.

He feeds the fish though :lol:

Zoaelite
05-30-2009, 10:08 PM
Good example on the car thing, I was thinking of something very similar. He didn't tell you appx. what he pays the company by any chance? Seems like a fairly good idea, all of the joy with out any of the work (cleaning skimmers, electrocuting yourself, destroying your basement :mrgreen:)
Levi

GreenSpottedPuffer
05-30-2009, 11:59 PM
Good example on the car thing, I was thinking of something very similar. He didn't tell you appx. what he pays the company by any chance? Seems like a fairly good idea, all of the joy with out any of the work (cleaning skimmers, electrocuting yourself, destroying your basement :mrgreen:)
Levi

Whatever the initial start up cost was and now about $500 USD a week for the reef and I have no idea how much more for the pond.

Expensive but like I said, not a hobby to him, just something to enjoy when he gets home from work. Tank is a 8' 400G by the way.

Leah
05-31-2009, 12:07 AM
If I added up all the time I put in maintaining my tanks, I could quite easily let someone else do all the work. I think in away I do not appreciate it as, I think of all the time I am
wasting. But I tend to be a perfectionist......so in many ways it is a catch 22!

GreenSpottedPuffer
05-31-2009, 01:08 AM
If I added up all the time I put in maintaining my tanks, I could quite easily let someone else do all the work. I think in away I do not appreciate it as, I think of all the time I am
wasting. But I tend to be a perfectionist......so in many ways it is a catch 22!

I bet I would 'save' or make money if I had someone else taking care of my tank because I work from home and the more work I do, the more money I make. I have my base salary and then pick up freelance work. The problem is, I don't take too much freelance anymore because I spend all my time on my tank!

Although now that I only have the small tank, I have noticed I am doing more work again. Paycheck will get bigger again...and then smaller after I visit J&L.

GreenSpottedPuffer
05-31-2009, 01:09 AM
So.....about them white clowns...LOL

This got so off topic!

Gafaye
05-31-2009, 09:16 AM
oh hehe. The white clowns...kinda look more cute now that I have looked at it over and over. I guess that is what you all need to do :p

BlueAbyss
05-31-2009, 12:36 PM
I've looked at them a good 10 times since this was posted and they're still ugly. I'd rather get an ORA occelaris personally :lol: I have to appreciate what ORA is doing, I'm actually hoping to end up with some of their captive bred stock once my system is going.

EDIT: I really do like the snowflake clowns though... I keep looking at them and the picassos... But wait, I don't like clowns...

Ryan
05-31-2009, 04:42 PM
So who is the Canada Retailer for ORA? My thoughts were paying the $30 for the buisness license here in town and becoming a retailer so I could order a few of each for myself and friends.

Chaloupa
05-31-2009, 05:49 PM
So who is the Canada Retailer for ORA? My thoughts were paying the $30 for the buisness license here in town and becoming a retailer so I could order a few of each for myself and friends.

J&L and OA are retailers I believe.... but you can't just order up a couple pairs of clowns and be a retailer for ORA......if it were that easy we'd all try to do it!:lol:

Zoaelite
05-31-2009, 06:18 PM
Where did you get the number $30.00 from? I would love get some snow flakes if this were actually possible!
Levi

Chaloupa
05-31-2009, 06:40 PM
Where did you get the number $30.00 from? I would love get some snow flakes if this were actually possible!
Levi

the cost of the business license is $30.00, is where that number came from I believe......

Ryan
05-31-2009, 06:48 PM
J&L and OA are retailers I believe.... but you can't just order up a couple pairs of clowns and be a retailer for ORA......if it were that easy we'd all try to do it!:lol:

I was thinking more of a couple dozen of each morph.

Zoaelite
05-31-2009, 07:53 PM
I was thinking more of a couple dozen of each morph.

If you actually go ahead with this count me in for a pair of the snow flakes!
Levi

Ryan
05-31-2009, 07:57 PM
Its just a thought in my head. Right now I dont have the room to bring in this many fish.