PDA

View Full Version : Sprung a leak is the tank that had Cupramine in it safe to use?

fishoholic
05-29-2009, 04:30 AM
So my makeshift 90g tank aka rubbermaid deck container is leaking! As some of you know all my surviving fish are in it waiting until June 18th before its safe to go back into the main display tanks.

I do not have any more large containers, so I was wondering if I clean the 110g tank with vinegar, that I used Seachem Cupramine in, would it be ok to put the live rock I have in it? Or would copper seep into the live rock and ruin it?

After the waiting period is over I plan on putting that live rock into the main display tank, so I do not want harmful traces of copper leaking into the display from the rock.

Has anyone used a tank again after treating it with cupramine? Please let me know thanks.

marie
05-29-2009, 05:02 AM
My quarantine tank has had copper in it in the past and now it has live rock with lots of pods, feather dusters, corals ect

How are all your fish doing by the way?

fishoholic
05-29-2009, 03:55 PM
Good to know, thanks Marie. It looks like we'll be doing a good tank cleaning and moving over the LR and fish to the 110g tonight. That will be better for the fish anyway, since a 6 foot long tank will be much nicer for my Sohal and king angel to co-exisit in :biggrin:

As for an update we lost the coral beauty 2 weeks ago, it had survived the copper treatment and lasted for a week and a bit in the holding rubbermaid tank with live rock. The coral beauty was about 5 years old and his body looked fine when he died, so I'm thinking it was possibly due to old age. Other then that all the other fish seem fine. CBB is doing great, The king angel chases the sohal like crazy but the sohal seems be be able to escape without much nips and the Sohal's face is almost totally healed up. The lunare wrasse nips the checkerboard wrasse (his tail looks bad but he's a trooper) and they leave the red corris wrasse alone (he's a lot smaller). No one bothers the bursa trigger (he's pretty small too) and of course the 3 chromis are fine.

The king angel is a big meanie so when it comes time to restock the 230g FOWLR I am going to have to find fish much smaller and different from her. I might try 1-2 angels with her but only if they are much smaller then her to start off with. I still have 3 more weeks of QT to go :twised:

Lance
05-29-2009, 04:59 PM
That's good to hear. (Aside from the Coral Beauty of course).
Cupramine is less likely to remain in the system than other copper treatments, so you should be good to go.