PDA

View Full Version : okay, what type of bug did I get with my order?

mark
05-29-2009, 02:10 AM
Noticed a few of these in the bag with the frags. Very small disk or saucer shaped, they do move and rather fast, by sort of folding their body but have what looks like cillia or flagella on the underside.

Not sure if they're from zoos are acros, (frags moved to one bag for a quick transfer)

Picture doesn't really show detail but more for size (there's two together here)
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h316/das75/P5280007.jpg

fragalot
05-29-2009, 02:16 AM
They do look like amphipod. You can see better picture in this link to compare
http://www.melevsreef.com/id/amphipod.html

loveless
05-29-2009, 02:22 AM
cant really tell but you might want to check out montipora eating nudibranch. Bad news if it is

mark
05-29-2009, 02:34 AM
they are more like a pill or sow bug or even a chiton.

montipora eating nudibranches or the acro eating flat worms, do they swim?

fragalot
05-29-2009, 02:36 AM
no they dont swim. They wont leave the rock. And they dont move fast, they are super slow.

christyf5
05-29-2009, 02:47 AM
looks like amphipods to me. The "cilia" are called swimmerettes (sp?) I believe.

noirsphynx
05-29-2009, 03:03 AM
Looks like an amphipod to me too but maybe this will help?
http://www.chucksaddiction.com/hitchpods.html

mark
05-29-2009, 03:17 AM
Looks like an amphipod to me too but maybe this will help?
http://www.chucksaddiction.com/hitchpods.html

Great link.

Leaning towards a Harpacticoid copepod (third row down) and hoping not a Isopod (Sphaeromatidae)

Haloreef
05-29-2009, 03:49 AM
Looks like a harmless cope/amphipod to me. At least I hope so, I have hundreds of them after lights out!
Man, I thought I was the only one who knew what a Pill/Sow bug was.

Keith.

i have crabs
05-29-2009, 05:06 AM
isopods are very active and fast swimmers

justinl
05-29-2009, 07:36 AM
only the active fast swimming isopods are fast active swimmers. Isopoda is a very broad family which is comprised of mostly herbivores and detritivores; not all of them swim. only a handful are the dreaded parasites we are all familiar with.

OP, you say they are saucer shaped. I assume you mean top to bottom like a pancake? The fact that you mention that they have articulated segments like a pillbug says isopod to me (amphipods generally look squished side to side). If you are paranoid about parasites, chuck it. It's very likely harmless though.

i have crabs
05-29-2009, 12:39 PM
i was refering to the bad type, which i believe are are all fast swimming but could be wrong

paddyob
05-30-2009, 12:35 AM
I dipped before placing and had lots of pods fall off. i did have one i have never seen before, it was really fast and almost looked like it had "arms" like a mantis Shrimp. i dont worry about them much, but is that what you are talking about? i cant see the original pic posted. it was about 5mm In length and pod brown.

fragalot
05-30-2009, 02:04 AM
I dipped before placing and had lots of pods fall off. i did have one i have never seen before, it was really fast and almost looked like it had "arms" like a mantis Shrimp. i dont worry about them much, but is that what you are talking about? i cant see the original pic posted. it was about 5mm In length and pod brown.

They are tiger pods ;) wrasses and mandarins love them ;)

midgetwaiter
05-30-2009, 10:33 PM
Great link.

Leaning towards a Harpacticoid copepod (third row down) and hoping not a Isopod (Sphaeromatidae)

Harps don't get that big, when I was trying to culture them it drove me nuts.

justinl
05-31-2009, 01:08 AM

no no fragalot, those are just amphipods. some of them have big arms out front and I think those are the males.

Navarchus
05-31-2009, 07:05 AM
I can’t really tell from the picture….
I wouldn’t take any chance if there is any doubted then there should be no doubted!!!

Drock169
05-31-2009, 07:32 AM
i have seen those in one of my tanks before too. I assume it was an isopod, not sure where it came from, but what i noticed is that they were only on the underside of my acro frags. i couldnt find an ID on them, however when scanning across dozens of pictures of acro pests I noticed something that looked very similar to them.

As a recommendation, I would dip all of the SPS frags in either revive or pro coral cure.

Navarchus
05-31-2009, 07:41 AM
If it is an amphipod or copepod then the benefit of it to his system would be minor if any. On the other hand if this is some kind of nudibranch then the damage to the system can be substantial.

I personally believe in am aggressive deep of any coral entering my system. Farther more I recommend my friends to do afresh water deep to the frag bases. I started doing it after I hade a flatworm plague in my reef tank and eventually I had to take all the rocks out and wash them in fresh untreated water.