PDA

View Full Version : The -wow- showoff

albert_dao
05-28-2009, 05:39 AM
I lol'd...

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=1644119

fkshiu
05-28-2009, 06:07 AM
Of course Vertex has it's own line of pricey cone skimmers too, eh Albert? How much Lowenbrau did it take to convince ol' Klaus? ;)

albert_dao
05-28-2009, 06:27 AM
LOL, Klaus is a good man.

Myka
05-28-2009, 06:29 AM
Wow...that's interesting. I would really like to see a comparison with a Korallen Zucht Revolution skimmer...I am interested to see actual performance data when the company claims that the skimmer skims "gentler" and preserves planktonic life. I'm really just rather interested in the skimmer. :lol:

albert_dao
05-28-2009, 06:36 AM
There's better skimmers for the price, IMO.

BlueAbyss
05-28-2009, 07:28 AM
...when the company claims that the skimmer skims "gentler" and preserves planktonic life.

Tunze has made this claim also. I doubt such claims since I think a lot of planktonic life is damaged on it's way through a centrifugal pump.

Myka
05-28-2009, 05:04 PM
^ My thoughts exactly.

Delphinus
05-28-2009, 05:51 PM
As a total random interjection here, I truly doubt the veracity of claims that pumps are that damaging on plankton. I'm sure some don't survive the trip, but many do and I bet it's safe to say that most will. Just look at how it happens. Copepod dances a little too close to powerhead input, gets sucked in, gets spit out about 10 ms later, maybe a little dizzy but otherwise totally intact and totally alive. It's not like the pump is a blender where the contents are held in place by gravity and repeatedly beaten into a liquified pulp by the blades.. I bet the copepod just hitches a ride in the gaps between the impeller blades and doesn't even make a full rotation before exiting. I'm sure some are chopped of course, but I honestly doubt that pumps and skimmers really have any large impact on the population numbers of plankton/copepods/etc. in a tank, since they prefer to crawl around substrate anyhow..

albert_dao
05-28-2009, 06:57 PM
I think another way of looking at it is "who cares?"

We all feed our tanks foods that make the nutritional value of some vestigal traces of "plankton" look like peanuts... Dried out, malnourished peanuts... :D

shrimpchips
05-28-2009, 08:42 PM
In the lab, we regularly centrifuge cells at 4000 - 5000g's, and they survive all right. A wee little pump's got nothing on planktonic life.