PDA

View Full Version : Found a decent place for Poly water tanks (Calgary)

Blom
05-27-2009, 07:09 PM
Just ordered myself a 20G poly water tank for a fresh RO reservoir. I know I had some trouble finding a tank the size I was looking for, and when I did it was always in Texas with $130+ shipping attached! Tracked down this place locally and so far have been pleased with the experiance. Thought I would post a link here for everyone.

Calgary Plastic Container Supply Ltd
http://www.calgaryplastic.ca

xtreme
05-27-2009, 07:38 PM
How much did the 20g end up costing you?

mike31154
05-27-2009, 08:13 PM
Another good source for larger containers is your local garden center. I scored two surplus 'glycerine' drums (probably close to 45 gal) for $25 each at Swan Lake Nurseryland north of Vernon. They sell them as rain barrels so I'm using one for that and the other to collect RO waste water which then is also used in the garden. Apparently the glycerine is a food safe product (byproduct of making bio diesel?) so with a good rinsing it should be suitable to store RO/DI water as well.

Your local on premises beer making outlets will also have large food grade 45 gal drums, however the one I frequent in Vernon wants $45 or more per barrel, so the glycerine drums were a steal.

Blom
05-27-2009, 08:25 PM
Another good source for larger containers is your local garden center. I scored two surplus 'glycerine' drums (probably close to 45 gal) for $25 each at Swan Lake Nurseryland north of Vernon. They sell them as rain barrels so I'm using one for that and the other to collect RO waste water which then is also used in the garden. Apparently the glycerine is a food safe product (byproduct of making bio diesel?) so with a good rinsing it should be suitable to store RO/DI water as well.

Your local on premises beer making outlets will also have large food grade 45 gal drums, however the one I frequent in Vernon wants $45 or more per barrel, so the glycerine drums were a steal.

Thanks for the tips!

Blom
05-27-2009, 08:27 PM
How much did the 20g end up costing you?

The 18" D x 27' H with a couple of extra holes/fitting came to just over $100.

mseepman
05-27-2009, 08:41 PM

That's excellent news Mike...I've been trying to track down a supplier for a while now in preparation for my next tank build and so far I was batting zero. Do those barrels have lids? Have you checked the type of plastic to ensure they are food grade? Any info would be great.

Aleks
05-27-2009, 11:20 PM
That's excellent news Mike...I've been trying to track down a supplier for a while now in preparation for my next tank build and so far I was batting zero. Do those barrels have lids? Have you checked the type of plastic to ensure they are food grade? Any info would be great.

Website says they are good for food/wine/mixing etc.

mike31154
05-27-2009, 11:40 PM

The barrels I purchased at Swan Lake Nurseryland are blue plastic with a recycling #2 on them. There was also a sticker, which I tore off, that said 'kosher' certified? I don't know if that confirms that they are food safe, but glycerine may be used to make soaps which are apparently easy on the skin. In any case, I don't think they have any more.

The 45 gal drums at the brew on premises outlets are definitely food safe since they contain malt & adjunct used to brew the beer. The one I have is a kind of opaque/white plastic. Neither these or the blue glycerine barrels have lids, but they do have two threaded caps each. Each cap has an o-ring seal and the center may be drilled to adapt a spout or bulkhead if you wish. That way you can lay them on their side with one cap up to fill and one down to drain with whatever system you rig up as a drain. If you stand them up, you'll need a pump or siphon to get the the liquid out, unless you drill somewhere else and install a bulkhead or cut the entire top off.

Funky_Fish14
05-27-2009, 11:48 PM
Another place I've found that is great and has an awesome variety of sizes (though not in Calgary) is Polyrama Plastics in Edmonton. They are on 149st. and about 122avenue I think? Between 120ave and yellowhead. East side of the road. They have a 'showcase room' and have a great variety of stuff and will even put in a bulkhead for you for pretty decent prices.

Cheers,

Chris

Blom
06-02-2009, 04:48 AM
Just thought I would update seeing I picked up my tank today. People were friendly and had me out of there in 10 minutes with fittings installed at no charge. Where wasn't a lot, but a nice gesture either way. Glad I went this route instead of a glass tank, just able to get more volume in a smaller footprint.