PDA

View Full Version : Mixing media types in phosban reactor

hummer
05-27-2009, 03:30 PM
Just wonder what people put in their phosban reactors. I am currently only using carbon. But I have extra ammonia and phosphate media sitting around. Could I add all 3 at the same time or would that be too much media for the reactor to work effectively?
Thanks for any suggestions.

sharuq1
05-27-2009, 03:35 PM
I'm not really the best person to answer this, but to my knowledge some types of media are harder than others. For example carbon might be likely to pulverize the phosphate media into dust. Also some medias last longer than others; this would make it harder to keep it fresh.

hummer
05-27-2009, 03:46 PM
carbon might be likely to pulverize the phosphate media into dust.

yeah I thought about that. I figured maybe I could cut some carbon foam to put inbetween.

christyf5
05-27-2009, 04:10 PM
some medias last longer than others as well. I change out my carbon every month while the phosban media lasts for 3 months or so.

I also find that carbon runs better with higher flow (imo) while phosban barely needs a trickle through it.

Myka
05-27-2009, 06:54 PM
Different medias work better at different flow rates. GFO needs to be about 100 gph where most carbons work best at 600 gph. Not sure about the ammonia media, although I would be wondering why you would need to use ammonia media. I wouldn't put ammonia media in my tank at all.

hummer
05-27-2009, 07:16 PM
Thanks for the info!

Not sure about the ammonia media, although I would be wondering why you would need to use ammonia media. I wouldn't put ammonia media in my tank at all.

The ammonia was left over when I had a mechanical filter. I've used only carbon for the last 2yrs. Just curious why you would not use ammonia media. Or is ammonia media only useful for start up tanks when ammonia is higher?

christyf5
05-27-2009, 08:19 PM
Thanks for the info!

The ammonia was left over when I had a mechanical filter. I've used only carbon for the last 2yrs. Just curious why you would not use ammonia media. Or is ammonia media only useful for start up tanks when ammonia is higher?

The tank shouldn't have any ammonia due to the buildup of bacteria to break it down. Even during the initial cycle its best not to use ammonia reducers as it cuts down on the bacterial population you're trying to create

Zoaelite
05-27-2009, 09:42 PM
The only problem I can see (because I have done this before with nitrate remover/ carbon) is that the heavier larger material will just sit at the bottom of your reactor and block flow to the finer material. I'm sure if you have just a little bit of each in it you will be fine, or you could always just purchase another reactor for separate material.
Levi

Zoaelite
05-27-2009, 09:51 PM
Opps sorry, Double post.
Levi

midgetwaiter
05-28-2009, 05:51 AM

If you're talking about Aquaclear type zeolite the little white stuff you really don't want to use it. It sucks up calcium like a sponge, Zeolites for SW are a different mineral.

BlueAbyss
05-28-2009, 08:44 AM
The freshwater ammonia reducing stuff does not work in saltwater, since it absorbs one of the ammonium ions and not the other, which differ in their relative concentrations in solution in saltwater vs. freshwater.

Hmm upon reading this, I'm not sure if it makes sense, but it is elementarily right without a discussion on water chemistry in saltwater vs. freshwater. I'll try to get you a link, I read an article about this somewhere.

hummer
05-28-2009, 01:12 PM
The ammonia remover I have comes in this 2L milk carton thing. It is for SW. I used it for the first year or so when I first started out. But I replace the mechanical filters with a phosban reactor and have only been running carbon.
Thanks for all the information everyone.