PDA

View Full Version : Anemone spawn

Delphinus
07-09-2003, 03:51 PM
Anyone live through an anemone spawn event before? My ritteri spawned late last night (it had a party at 1am apparently) and I'm wondering what I should expect now.

The tank water clouded pretty bad pretty quick (and smelled pretty gross), so I did a quick water change, cleaned out my skimmer and reset it, added filter floss to my overflow, and added carbon. Not sure what else I can do for the moment except ride it out ... and maybe do another water change tonight if the water still appears fouled.

I'm expecting the anemone to look a little spent for the next little while, we'll see how this plays out.

Would appreciate any advice please. Thanks..

Doug
07-09-2003, 04:54 PM
Hey Tony, must be that time of year or something. :biggrin: A friends, {Mike Miles}, huge seabae, spawned the other night also.

Filled his tank with milky spawn. Filter floss, carbon & his Euroreef cleaned it up. I believe his anemone was openimg nice again yesterday. Now that his computer is fixed, I will get him to post tonight.

DJ88
07-09-2003, 05:08 PM
hmmm my sisters anemones went all funny too last night.. Wierd.. didn't spawn I don't think.. but still. she is freaked

AJ_77
07-09-2003, 05:12 PM
Uh - ohhhhh...

Looked OK last night, thoough.

Troy F
07-09-2003, 08:00 PM
My gigantea has looked awful for the last while. I attributed it to the dinoflagellate bloom I have going on in the tank.

Delphinus
07-09-2003, 08:35 PM
Definitely has a "spent" look to it today (I went home at lunchtime to check on it). Not completely deflated but much smaller than usual.

I wonder if this might not be the first time it has happened, just that this is the first time I witnessed it. Twice before in two years I have found the anemone deflated, once when the water was cloudy, but at the time I thought it might have been a caulerpa sporulation (but I was never able to confirm that). Of course, it's just speculation.

The water was realllly stinky so I'm worried about fouling. Still is a little, actually, although filter floss and the carbon have done a wicked job of polishing the water clean already. Nobody else seems to be affected, so so-far-so-good. I'm going to make a new batch of SW so I can do a big water change (tank is due for one anyway, so what the heck).

Dinoflagellates? What a pain. I could not get rid of them when I had them back in December/January. Only thing that worked was I turned my tank lights off for almost a week. After almost a week of no lights I had to scale back the photoperiod and very slowly ramp back up to the normal photoperiod, so in actual fact it's more fair to say the photoperiod was knocked back almost 3 weeks in an effort to get rid of the dinos. But it worked. Nothing else did, unfortunately. Good luck getting rid of them, let me know how it works out and what you try (I'm always afraid they're going to come back).

Troy F
07-09-2003, 10:01 PM
I'm about two weeks away from shutting the tank down and selling it all. Tony, did you try spiking the pH? I've been trying regular 25gal siphoning excursions but it's futile. I'm not sure how my anemone will do without light for a week or more; thoughts?

Delphinus
07-09-2003, 10:16 PM
That's how I got into dripping kalk again, but I'm not really sure the kalk helped solve the problem, I'm thinking if it has any effect at all it's more along the lines of preventative thing rather than a cure.

My BTA's weathered the lights-out period just fine actually. I was nervous about it, that's why I didn't last the whole week of lights-out that I had planned for originally.

My advice; consider giving it a shot... Watch the anemone and if it starts to give you heebie-jeebies then turn them back on. Odds are pretty good it's going to get some ambient light from the outside anyways so I think it will be fine. Or if you're really worried, pull it out and keep it in a 10g or a 20g for a week while the main tank is in the week of perpetual night.

I feel your pain. I too was ready to give up. Just weeks and weeks and weeks and that horrible stuff just wouldn't die no matter what I tried. Touch wood it's been about 6 months now and it hasn't come back since the lights-off thing.

DJ88
07-09-2003, 10:20 PM
Troy,

can you do regular feedings? ie every couple of days? Remember that in the wild there will be periods where there will be mininal light in the ocean. storm season etc. but the anemones still eat like normal. I have gone for weeks without seeing the sun at sea.

it may shrink abit.. but if fed well should be fine I think.

Delphinus
07-09-2003, 10:25 PM
A little bit of shrinkage in this case is probably well worth the sacrifice.. Wait, that didn't come out right...

Good luck. I think Darren is right, with food it will be OK. A week isn't all that long, FWIW I don't think that's long enough for it to starve out as a result. My only concern is the part where you turn the lights back on, everything will have to be re-acclimated else risk light shock..

StirCrazy
07-09-2003, 11:18 PM
I have gone for weeks without seeing the sun at sea.

Damn and I thought I was a rack monster :mrgreen:

:rofl:

Steve

DJ88
07-09-2003, 11:30 PM
Damn and I thought I was a rack monster :mrgreen:

Shhhh.