PDA

View Full Version : Large tanks and tile floors

xtreme
05-26-2009, 11:31 PM
I am going to be tiling my basement floor soon and am not sure if I would be better off setting up my new 280g directly on the concrete floor or would it be ok on tile? Assuming the tile is laid correctly is there any risk of cracking tiles? I figure there will be about 4000lbs sitting on a footprint of roughly 30" x 72".

golf nut
05-26-2009, 11:36 PM
I am going to be tiling my basement floor soon and am not sure if I would be better off setting up my new 280g directly on the concrete floor or would it be ok on tile? Assuming the tile is laid correctly is there any risk of cracking tiles? I figure there will be about 4000lbs sitting on a footprint of roughly 30" x 72".
just tile the floor, there will be no problems.

xtreme
05-26-2009, 11:39 PM
That was I was thinking. I just don't want any surprises when I go to sell my house and end up having to redo the floor.

untamed
05-27-2009, 12:05 AM
I would say it will depend on your stand, and on the tile and tile installation. My front entrance tile is slate and there is no way it could take it. Slate is too soft and the surface is too uneven so any load pushes on the high point of a single tile.

You would want your stand to spread the load over as much surface area as possible. No small feet or legs on the stand. I'm mindful of my hardwood floor and the 110lb guest who damaged it by wearing stiletto heels. If she were wearing snowshoes, she wouldn't leave a dent. It is all about psi.

GreenSpottedPuffer
05-27-2009, 01:00 AM
I would say it will depend on your stand, and on the tile and tile installation. My front entrance tile is slate and there is no way it could take it. Slate is too soft and the surface is too uneven so any load pushes on the high point of a single tile.

You would want your stand to spread the load over as much surface area as possible. No small feet or legs on the stand. I'm mindful of my hardwood floor and the 110lb guest who damaged it by wearing stiletto heels. If she were wearing snowshoes, she wouldn't leave a dent. It is all about psi.

So a plywood bottom to the tank stand would help then?

Ian
05-27-2009, 03:03 AM
IMO
if the tile is laid directly on the concrete and the floor is level the you should have no issues. The tile will not compress so the force is transmitted directly into the concrete. A layer of good underlay between your stand and the floor to prevent a high point and the resulting pressure might not be a bad idea.

lastlight
05-27-2009, 03:13 AM
My 225 is on the main floor which is tiled. I haven't had it filled long-term but I don't expect to have any issues. My floor is very re-enforced to avoid sagging which I think would definitely lead to cracked tiles. A concrete floor should be gold. My tiles however are ceramic and have no irregularities which helps.

fkshiu
05-27-2009, 05:05 AM
A flat and true base for the tile and you'll be fine. If it is a new house with relatively young concrete, you should install an isolation membrane like Schluter Kerdi to prevent shifting as the concrete ages. Use porcelain tiles which are about as hard and strong as you can get.