PDA

View Full Version : Bottom Right Side of Tank

Samw
07-09-2003, 05:56 AM
Photo-stitched

http://www.hyperdream.com/~samw/reef/FullTank/200307/rightstitch_std.jpg

Aquattro
07-09-2003, 06:00 AM
Looks great Sam. Just wondering, where's all the fishies??

Dorkel Marine 1
07-09-2003, 07:12 AM
he probably told them to leave the room for a few minutes while he took the photo. They problably needed to stretch their fins anyway.

Looking good Sam.

George

Samw
07-09-2003, 08:09 AM
Looks great Sam. Just wondering, where's all the fishies??

I guess most are on the left of the tank... One's sleeping under the sand. Camera-shy fishies. Not much changed lately in fish stock other than 1 med fish was sold.

Trevor Robertson
07-09-2003, 03:00 PM
Sam that looks great, I am impressed by the stitch, I have done many in the past but have always found it hard to do with a moving subject like your softies.

Lookin' good!

AJ_77
07-09-2003, 04:09 PM
Nice job! And the stitching software - a specific package? Noticed that gregt was doing something similar recently.

Samw
07-09-2003, 04:22 PM
Thanks all. I just use the Photostitch support that comes with the Canon camera. It allows you to see the previous pic while you are taking the next pic so that you can line them up. Then, I use the Canon Photostitch software that comes bundled with the Powershot S40 and merge them.

Here are a couple more (non-reef related) stitches. First is a 2x2. Notice the curved horizon. Wasn't intentional. Just the way I took the pics. If I use a tripod, I would get better results.

construction (http://www.hyperdream.com/~samw/construction.jpg)

Next one is horizontally stitched (6 images I think) and resized significantly for webviewing.

vancouver panoramic (http://www.hyperdream.com/~samw/vancouver/concordpanoramic.jpg)

Check out this one of Key Arena. Notice that a couple of men walking down the stairs on the left can be seen twice in the pic? :)

Key Arena (http://www.hyperdream.com/~samw/seattleyaoming/keyarena_std.jpg)

Trevor Robertson
07-09-2003, 08:40 PM
Okay I will show off a bit as well.

here is one that I took a few months ago, it was taken with a Canon S50 (in stich mode) then stiched using Adobe Photoshop Elements, then taken into Photoshop (full version 7) and I manually fixed a few of the mistakes.

http://homepage.mac.com/trevors/jasper_pan.jpg

Trevor Robertson
07-09-2003, 08:42 PM
Well sam I am impressed with the quality of your shots.

To learn a bit I do have a question for you on your fish stich...

1 - did you use a tripod, and if so do you have coasters on it?

2 - did you use a flash? and if so was it off camera?

reason I ask these questions is that I have done the same thing a number of times with different camera's but the rock comes out looking really bad (white when it is very purple to the eye?)

Thanks

Trevor Robertson
07-09-2003, 08:46 PM
opps here is the link that works...

http://homepage.mac.com/trevors/jasperpan.jpg

sorry :rolleyes:

Jason McK
07-09-2003, 09:54 PM
Sweat shots guys, love the Japer shot and the pans of downtown Van.

Is there a shareware version of that software?

J

Trevor Robertson
07-09-2003, 09:58 PM
The Canon Software comes with the camera's. PhotoShop elements sells for about $150

Samw
07-10-2003, 02:41 AM
Nice stitch Trevor.

I wish I did have a tripod to use. I don't, so I didn't. No flash of any kind. For some reason, camera flash makes the pictures look bad in a tank (overexposed? glass reflection?).

1 - did you use a tripod, and if so do you have coasters on it?

2 - did you use a flash? and if so was it off camera?

StirCrazy
07-10-2003, 02:44 AM
a flash can be good if it is used right, and you set the right settings. I have started playing with a remote flash but I have yet to perfect its use :mrgreen:

Sam, when you buy a tripod spend the money and get a good one.. I bought a $40.00 one and I wish I would have bought the 120.00 one.. I think I might this fall.

If you go to a used camera store you should be able to get a professional quality one for about 80.00

Steve

BC_Grl
07-10-2003, 05:27 AM
WOW! Impressive!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Sam, what a great job you've done.

Steve- I agree about the tripod and waiting til you can afford a good one. I bought one that was heavy and a tad difficult to open becuase it is was the right price. Now I wish I had spent a bit more money and got a good one. It truly is worth it. I too will probably try to snag one for Christmas.

Dorkel Marine 1
07-10-2003, 07:18 AM
Terrifix photo's Sam and Trevor. One day when I'm rich, ahh maybe when I steal one I'll be able to take photos like that. I think I'll phone Mom and Dad.

George

sumpfinfishe
07-11-2003, 09:14 AM
Very nice images guy's!
Sam, I haven't tried my stich mod yet but the day is soon, I can feel it.
cheers, Rich

Trevor Robertson
07-11-2003, 02:09 PM
Terrifix photo's Sam and Trevor. One day when I'm rich, ahh maybe when I steal one I'll be able to take photos like that. I think I'll phone Mom and Dad.

George

or you could do like me and get a job at a store that sells all the toys that you like, and that has a very liberal staff loaner program and you can use all of your favorite stuff and never have to pay for it!! :biggrin:

ABreefkpr
07-11-2003, 04:36 PM
I like your idea Trevor are they hiring :lol:
I wish I had a camera to post pics of my tank. Not as impressive as a lot I've see posted but still not bad.

Keith

StirCrazy
07-11-2003, 09:20 PM
will that stiching software work with any pics? and if so is there someplace you can download it?

Steve

Samw
07-12-2003, 08:17 AM
Hi Steve. Yes, I believe the Canon Photostitch software would work with non-photostitch-assist cameras as well. I don't think this particular software is free though and I don't know of any that is freeware. But there could be some out there. I haven't been looking to know for sure.

StirCrazy
07-12-2003, 03:29 PM
non-photostitch-assist cameras

is there something special about your camera that helps the stiching program?

Steve

Samw
07-12-2003, 07:11 PM
Steve. When the camera is set to Stitch Mode, you get to select the direction of the stitch such as left to right, right to left, top to bottom, bottom to top, or 2x2. In this mode, the camera LCD will show you the previous photo taken so that you can line up your next shot next to the previous shot. The better they are lined up, the less waste you'll get when you merge and crop the photo. When you are stitching horizontally or vertically, a tripod will keep it line up just fine so stitch assist is less important but still helps since you don't have to guess where the previous picture ended. Stitch-assist helps the most when you are doing a 2x2 stitch. This would be more tricky to do with just a tripod.

StirCrazy
07-12-2003, 09:17 PM
ahhh ok